|Barony of Dreiburgen|
Argent, three piles azure issuant from base, in each a tower argent with the portcullis open; in chief a laurel wreath counterchanged
Populace Badge: AR, on a pile inverted throughout AZ a tower AR, within a bordure embattled AZ (8209 Caid)
Meaning: From the German words Drei meaning Three and Burgen meaning castles. The name is reference to both the three primary cities (Riverside, San Bernardino, Redlands) and the surrounding mountain peaks (San Gorgonio, San Jacinto and Mt. Baldy).
Dreiburgen’s arms reflect the same meanings. The three towers represent the primary cities and the blue piles represent the three mountain peaks.
Area: entire Riverside and San Bernardino counties when established,
Heraldic officer's title: Blue Mountain The herald's title is based on the blue piles of the arms, which represent the mountains around the eastern edge of the Los Angeles basin, and the territory of Dreiburgen.
- The Name and Arms of Dreiburgen were registered in October of 1976: Argent, three piles azure issuant from base, on each a tower argent with portcullis open, in chief a laurel wreath counterchanged.
- Badge associated with this name was registered in March of 1982 (via Caid) and removed erroneous designation in April of 1982 (via Caid): Per chevron throughout argent and azure, a tower argent within a bordure embattled azure. For the Order of the Tower of Dreiburgen
- Badge registered in April of 1982 (via Caid) and reblazoned in September of 1982 (via Caid): Per chevron throughout argent and azure, a tower argent within a bordure embattled azure.
- Badge registered in September of 1982 (via Caid): Argent, on a pile inverted throughout azure a tower argent. For the Order of the Tower of Dreiburgen
- Badge registered in September of 1982 (via Caid) and associated with usage in April of 2017 (via Caid): Argent, on a pile inverted throughout azure a tower argent, within a bordure embattled azure.
- Badge registered in July of 1983 (via Caid): Azure, on a tower argent a pheon inverted azure, within a bordure argent. Dreiburgen Archers
- Badge registered in March of 1987 (via Caid): Or, on a pile inverted throughout gyronny from base azure and argent, a tower Or. Order of the Illuminated Tower of Dreiburgen
- Badge registered in July of 1988 (via Caid) and corrected blazon in September of 1988 (via Caid): Per chevron inverted throughout a chamfron argent within a bordure embattled counterchanged.
- Badge registered in September of 1988 (via Caid): Per chevron inverted throughout azure and argent, a chamfron argent within a bordure embattled counterchanged.
- Badge registered in October of 1995 (via Caid): Argent, three piles inverted palewise azure, overall an arrow fesswise sable. Order of the Long Rangers of Dreiburgen
- Badge registered in October of 1995 (via Caid): Azure, three towers on a chief rayonny argent a swept-hilt rapier reversed azure. Dreiburgen School of Rapier
- Badge registered in April of 2005 (via Caid) and associated with usage in April of 2017 (via Caid): Argent, on a pile inverted throughout azure an escutcheon argent, a bordure embattled azure.
- Badge registered in February of 2008 (via Caid): (Fieldless) On a roundel azure between and conjoined to eight crescents in annulo horns outward a tower argent. For former territorial barons and baronesses of Dreiburgen
- Badge registered in April of 2017 (via Caid): Argent, on a pile inverted throughout azure a tower argent, within a bordure embattled azure. Populace Badge
- Badge registered in April of 2017 (via Caid): Argent, on a pile inverted throughout azure an escutcheon argent, a bordure embattled azure. Order of the Defenders of the Three Towers of Dreiburgen
- Badge registered in September of 2018 (via Caid): Per chevron throughout argent and azure, a tower argent within seven mullets in annulo counterchanged.
More of Dreiburgen’s heraldry can be seen on their Branch Armory Page
- Order of the Towers of Dreiburgen (For service beyond the normal expectation)
- Order of the Illuminated Tower of Dreiburgen (For service in the arts)
- Order of the Defenders of the Three Towers of Dreiburgen (For service in the Marshal Arts)
- Golden Ram (For service; closed when the canton of Gorgonoth became the barony of Dreiburgen), first awarded at the Southern Twelfth Night 1974
Patron Saint: Saint Geronimus
Newsletter: Dreiburgen News.
Territories of Dreiburgen
Former Territories of Dreiburgen
Annual Baronial Events
- Saint Geronimus Tournament
- Dreiburgen Spring Tournament
- Dreiburgen’s Summer Event
- Dreiburgen Anniversary
- Dreiburgen Yule
- See the full list of Baronage at Dreiburgen Baronage
Guilds, Groups & Troops
- Dreiburgen Armourers Guild
- Culinary Arts Guild (On hiatus)
- The Dreiburgen Light Horse Guard
- Dreiburgen Archers
- Dreiburgen Irregulars
- Dreiburgen Monier's Guild, founded at the Hammer-in 1998
Memories of the Founding Groups
- Riverside had many people but of significance were Waldt von Markheim and Alison von Markheim (founding Baron and Baroness), Æoelwig Æoelfwigson was the first seneschal, and all of House Dunmore (a small but very integral group including Brann Morgan Dunmore of Galloway. (Master) Hrorek Halfdane of Faulconwood and his brother (Sir) Theodric Pendar of Faulconwood were up by UCR with their roommate Nicholai. (Master) Raoul the Urbane was also from Riverside and he wrote most of our early SCA music and fanfares (no longer used), much of which is now "assumed" to be ancient period pieces. I can't finish without mentioning (Master) Däwyd Soumalainen von Markheim, who did anything that needed to be done. Lake Elsinore was where Bernard ben Barra and his people came from. Bernard was a High School Arts teacher and got a lot of the arts off the ground in Dreiburgen and was especially noted for his calligraphy and illumination. San Bernardino was held primarily by House Rosedale, centered around a large family and their many friends. Any event they were at seemed like a family reunion, no matter who you were. Redlands was held by Thomas of the Double Axe. I'm sure I've left people out, but back then I thought everything would always remain the same forever so I didn't try to remember things for posterity. As for which three mountains Dreiburgen was named for, there seems to be some controversy on that. I was originally told they were San Bernardino, San Gregonio and San Jacinto. - Edwin
- To Keradwc and anybody else who's interested: Gorgonoth (canton of Angels), founded by Waldt and Alison von Markheim became the Barony of Dreibergen with Alison and Waldt as first Baroness and Baron. They called it Dreibergen because of the three big mountains within the Barony's borders : Mount San Gregorio, Mount San Jacinto, and (!) Mount Baldy (!). Now, all of you present and former caidans (of which I am one too!) are probably thinking: but Mount Baldy's in Heatherwine!?! Well, Mount Baldy is in Heatherwine, but Heatherwine wasn't around when Dreibergen was founded. The area that makes up Heatherwine today was originally part of Dreibergen. That territory was ceded when Heatherwine became a shire. Now when Alsion told me the story of the founding of Dreibergen (because I foolishly wanted to know where the name came from...), after she told me about giving Mount Baldy away to Heatherwine, I asked her why they didn't change the name to "Zweibergen" (I even kept a straight face when I did this, which was remarkable under the circumstances). And the look I got out of Alison can only be imagined if you know Alsion (if looks could wither, I'd be a prune by now...). ::Ya sure, it was fun!: The Completely Innocent Tux (really! no kidding! would I ever pull anyone's leg?!? Me?!?) (FROM: Stefan's Florilegium) From: Meisterin Therasia von Tux, OP, Date: 20 May 91 22:23:20 GMT (Insignificant Pondscum)
- We were Gorgonoth for several years, holding tourneys, mostly our anniversary in Oct. and recruiting... we had out grown Canton status but not yet achieved Baronial status. However just to be prepared we came up with a new name Drieburgen because we were Riverside, San Bernardino & Redlands or because of the three mountain peaks in the Barony (Mt. San Gorgonio, Mt. San Jacinto, & Mt. San Antonio) take your pick we thought of them interchangeable. At this point I am a little nebulous about when we officially became the Barony of Drieburgen, I know I was still in Riverside when we were granted Baronial status, I also am pretty sure I moved to Orange County about a year or so later. ~ Æoelwig Æoelfwigson, founding seneschal of Dreiburgen (transcribed with minor edits by Eadwynne of Runedun)
|Caidan Baronies: Altavia, Angels, Calafia, Dreiburgen, Dun Or, Gyldenholt, Lyondemere, Naevehjem, Nordwache, Starkhafn, Western Seas, Wintermist|
Caidan Shires: Al-Sahid, Carreg Wen, Darach, Isles
Caidan Cantons: Bard's Keep, Canyons, Castle North, Cragdon, Gallavally, Mons Draconis, Peridot Isle, Poll na Gainmhe, Steinsee, Summergate, Tanwayour, Torvald, Valley Azure
Caidan Colleges: Boethius, Fenwood Knoll, Noe, Saint Artemas, Saint Firmin, San Ambrogio, San Isidore, Tour d'Yvoire, Voyagers
Other Information: Former Territories, Kingdoms, Known World