Name: "Lion of the Sea" in slightly Anglicisized French originally the Canton of Lyonesse, which was not registerable with the College of Arms.
Arms: Originally registered as: "Argent, a fish-tailed demi-lion haurient grasping in its dexter paw a laurel wreath proper, within the laurel wreath a crescent voided; a base engrailed azure."
In 1988, the arms were changed to: "Argent, a sea-lion haurient grasping in its dexter paw a laurel wreath vert, a base engrailed azure."
Heraldic officer's title: Coral The herald's title picks another item in the ocean theme. However, there are not actually any coral reefs off the coast of Lyondemere.
Newsletter: The Tydes - The baronial newsletter is distributed electronically. Anyone may subscribe at the website. A short email announcement is sent when the new monthly issue is ready. All electronic archives can be read online.
Fighting Unit(s): Lyondemarines, formerly the Lyondemere Levy. At one time, the archery contingent was known as Megwyn's Marauders.
(from the July 1975 Crown Prints)
On March 5, there was a meeting at House Negra-Khan to establish a new canton. It was decided to encompass the lands within 10 miles of the seashore & reach from Long Beach to Santa Monica. The first meeting decided little more than that. However, from there the canton went on to become very active in short order.
The name, Lyonesse, was suggested by Morven of Carrick & adopted. The canton has managed to get approval from the City of Carson Parks & Recreation Dept. to have events in their parks--no mean feat--& so successful was their first tourney that the City of Carson has invited the SCA to join in a Bi-Centennial parade next February.
Lyonesse has thrown itself into plans for many activities, among which will be car-pooling to other events, fencing demonstrations, an arts & crafts faire, assistance in costume fittings in exchange for services, and other tourneys, of course.
The first Lyonesse Tourney, on July 20 (1975), was a great success: Parks & City officials were present, becoming quite impressed with the show & pageantry. More people than ever before tried out for the contests: an embroidery (on the spot, free-hand) competition, heraldic drawing, and a chain-mail making contest (where it was announced that not too many pieces will have to be redone before they can be usable!) The well-run event is due to the total cooperation of the entire Canton, under the leadership of their Seneschale, Lady Gabrielle nicChlurain, with the assistance of Morven of Carrick. The grand champion of the tournament was Prince Thomas the Merciless who appointed Ian of Lancaster as acting Principality Constable during the closing court ceremonies.
John ap Griffin was presented with a VERY special Herald's staff by a grateful (??) group of fighters, for his field heralding: a candy-striped water-toy with a Donald Duck head & a small bike horn. The spiked end will come in handy to help clean up the field after Tourneys, as well as be useful in getting a fighter's attention, if necessary...
Lady Gabrielle would like to thank all the people who helped make the day such a fine & fun one, with especial thanks to House Opal Cross for the large celebration cake decorated with knights & a ballista!
The name Lyonesse did not pass the College of Arms, so we changed it to Lyondemere, which means "Lion of the Sea," suggested by Fiona MacGregor. Lyondemere became a Barony in its own right June 3, 1978.
- Order of the Lion's Paw is granted for service. This is the name of a particular species of scallop, and thus the symbol of the order is a scallop shell dependent from a green garter.
- Order of the Sanderling is granted for arts. This is a period name for the bird now known as the sandpiper, therefore its badge has a golden sandpiper.
- Serjeayntes of Lyondemere for combat arts. Serjeayntes wear an armband with the badge of the barony.
Territories of Lyondemere
- Noe College
- Idunn College
Boundaries of the Barony of Lyondemere
The modern areas that are included in our Barony include (partially or in whole):
- Belmont Shore
- Bixby Knolls
- Century City
- Cheviot Hills
- Culver City
- Del Aire
- East Long Beach
- El Camino Village
- El Porto
- El Segundo
- Fort Macarthur
- Fox Hills
- Harbor City and Harbor Gateway
- Hermosa Beach
- Holly Park
- Hollywood Riviera
- Lakewood (Split at 405 Freeway and Bellflower: Lyondemere has everything South and West; 90713 and 90715-16 are in Angels)
- Long Beach (90808 and 90815 are in Angels)
- Long Beach Naval Station
- Los Altos (split Lyondemere/Angels)
- Los Angeles
- Manhattan Beach
- Marina Del Rey
- Mar Vista
- Morningside Park
- North Long Beach
- Ocean Park
- Pacific Palisades
- Palisades Highlands
- Palos Verdes Peninsula
- Playa Del Rey
- Portuguese Bend
- Rancho Dominguez
- Rancho Palos Verdes
- Rancho Park
- Redondo Beach
- Rolling Hills and Rolling Hills Estates
- Rose Park
- San Pedro
- Santa Monica
- Signal Hill
- Terminal Island
- West Los Angeles (UCLA - College of San Ambrogio is in Angels)
- See the full list of Baronage at Lyondemere Baronage
Participation in Arts and Sciences Pentathlon
Team Lyondemere for details
- Team Champion in 2001
- Competed in 2003
- Competed in 2009
- Team Champion in 2011
- Team Champion in 2013
- Competed 2015
- Premier Lyon Bard 2002-03 - Finella Harper
- 2nd Lyon Bard 2003-04 - Arthur FitzRobert of Wiverneweald
- 3rd Lyon Bard 2004-05 - Elizaveta Arievna Lebedeva
- 4th Lyon Bard 2005-06 - Eilidh Swann Stralachlan
- 5th Lyon Bard 2006-07 - Domhnall mac Pharlain
- 6th Lyon Bard 2007-08 - Beathog nic Dhonnchaidh
- 7th Lyon Bard 2008-09 - Caitlin Christiana Wintour
- 8th Lyon Bard 2009-10 - Cecilia Lightfoot
- 9th Lyon Bard 2010-11 - Avicia de Na Baiona
- 10th Lyon Bard 2011-12 - Angharat Goch verch Gwenhover
- 11th Lyon Bard 2012-14 - Wulfric Forlong of Falconhurst (competition moved from Yule to Arts & Archery)
- 12th Lyon Bard 2014-15 - Robin Greenwood
- 13th Lyon Bard 2015-16 - Colette la trouvere
- 14th Lyon Bard 2016-17 - Cormac Mór
- 15th Lyon Bard 2017-18 - Mealla Caimbeul
- 16th Lyon Bard 2018-19 - Mary Dedwydd verch Gwallter
Lyondemere Regalia Credits
A host of talented people have made lasting contributions to the ambiance of the barony, both by contributing their artistic skills and by commissioning items.
The original Baronial coronets were designed and crafted by Lord Auberon Cirin ca. 1980. The second Baronial coronets were designed by Mistress Éowyn Amberdrake and made by Master Otuell Gowe in 2006. They were first worn at Lyondemere Anniversary 2006. One key design feature is that one of the pearls is removeable, for the Baron to bestow as a mark of respect and favor. This innovation was suggested by Master Otuell.
The Baronial chairs were designed, carved, and constructed by Lord William Wiseheart then known as Ognar of Lyondemere, ca. 2004.
A series of small (a foot or so across) canvas shields of the armory of donors, were created as a fundraiser for a new Baronial Pavilion. These shields were displayed at Lyondemere Anniversary along either the edges of the pavilion or along the ropes for the edge of the lists field. Most (all?) were painted by Baroness Xena Baxter Wynthorpe. These were displayed regularly from ca 1990 - 2006
The baronial pavilion was purchased from a commercial tentmaker (was it Panther Pavilions?) in the mid-1990s.
The Baronial Trailer was purchased in the tenure of Baron Jamal and Baroness Éowyn, as a way to keep Baronial regalia all in one place and out of their garage.
View a list of the Lyondemere event pages that have been created so far at Lyondemere Events.
- Official Web Site
- The Barony of Lyondemere's Baronial Email List open to all members of Lyondemere and Caid.
- The unofficial Barony of Lyondemere's Facebook Group open to all members of Lyondemere and Caid.
|Caidan Baronies: Altavia, Angels, Calafia, Dreiburgen, Dun Or, Gyldenholt, Lyondemere, Naevehjem, Nordwache, Starkhafn, Western Seas, Wintermist|
Caidan Shires: Al-Sahid, Carreg Wen, Darach, Isles
Caidan Cantons: Bard's Keep, Canyons, Castle North, Cragdon, Gallavally, Mons Draconis, Peridot Isle, Poll na Gainmhe, Steinsee, Summergate, Tanwayour, Torvald, Valley Azure
Caidan Colleges: Boethius, Fenwood Knoll, Noe, Saint Artemas, Saint Firmin, San Ambrogio, San Isidore, Tour d'Yvoire, Voyagers
Other Information: Former Territories, Kingdoms, Known World