THLady Khalida al-Khansa'
Per pale sable and argent, a lotus blossom in profile gules.
From a very young age, Khalida lived aboard her father's merchant vessel. Sailing mostly around the Mediterranean, Khalida learned drop spindle spinning (mostly wool, cotton and silk), weaving (Inkle and tablet) and how to put her observation skills to good use--training to become a spy. A quickly-moving storm surprised the crew, resulting in shipwreck. All were lost, except for a bedraggled Khalida, who washed ashore the coast of Libya/Egypt. Rescued by a nomadic tribe, Khalida adapted quickly to her new life.
Since her rescue, she traveled into the Persian Empire where she found employment in the household of Duchess Faizeh al-Zarqa. Her inkle loom trim adorns the entire household of Kabila al-Raqs B’Saif, as well as Sir Halldórr Þórhallsson, Dame Ismay of Giggleswick, Dame Valla Luta Kolladottir and Dame Teka Turmanov. Her newly-developing skills in silk dying was accepted and worn by Duchess Eilidh na Tire Dharigh during her first reign, along with Duchess Faizeh. The women of Raqs b' Saif also wear head veils dyed by Khalida in household and heraldic colors. Her Grace Duchess Faizeh noticed Khalida's love of dance and has been instructing her in Persian court dance (as well as modern Orientale Middle Eastern dance).
Lady Khalida lives in Persia in the 900s, although she can be seen every once in awhile in Viking.
- Protegee to Dame Ismay of Giggleswick, 2008-2018
- Formerly fostered to Duchess Mora de Buchanan, 2011-2013
- Senior "lady in waiting" to Duchess Faizeh al-Zarqa
- Countess Bridget Lucia Mackenzie and Dame Eilidh Swann Stralachlan oversee Her Ladyship's training in drop spindle and loom weaving.
- Worked on Dun Or silk banners 2006
- Entered Pentathlon 2007 in Spinning
- Inkle wove site favors for Dun Or Anniversary
- Developed site favor concept and execution (salt in small bottles), Dun Or Anniversary
- GWW Spinning sit in, taught basic drop spindle and demonstrated silk spinning
- At Queen's Champion, held in Dun Or, entered samples of beginning and current inkle work at the A&S display
- Performed at Twelfth Night 2013 for TRM Mansur and Eilidh with Her Grace Duchess Faizeh, 01/05/2013
- Performer Royal Processionals, Persian Dance for TRM Edric IV and Faizeh and Edric V and Faizeh II, at Coronation and other processional; also for Mansur and Eilidh
- Performed a Tahib (Egyptian cane dance) with Her Grace Duchess Faizeh at Winter Festival of the Rose 2015 for HRM Eilidh II
- Performed solo improvisational Persian Court dance with Sir Andrew Baird (playing the saaz)
Performed at HRM Bridget II FoTR, Persian court dance
- Currently researching:
- Dyes used through out the Persian and Byzantine Empires
- Coffee and Sugar- Luxury Trade
- Middle Eastern Embroidery
Offices & Positions
- Chatelaine, Barony of Dun Or, 2004-2006
- Seneschal, Barony of Dun Or, 2006-2009
- Minister of Arts and Sciences, Barony of Dun Or, 4/12/2011-11/30/2011
- Lady in Waiting to Colyn and Muiriath, 2004-2011
- Lady in Waiting to Iain and Theresia, 2004
- Lady and Waiting to Kelan and Arianwen, 2011-2015
- Kingdom Deputy Seneschal for Seneschal Warrants 7/2012-2016
- Composed and updated Seneschal warrant roster for Coronation signatures, including confirming all contact and membership and maintaining all on-line signed warrants for Seneschals
- Research compiled for the Big Book of Warrants for Mistress Robynne the Grey, project completed 2012.
- Contacted all Kingdom officers regarding their warranting process to see how unified the Kingdom was in warranting territorial officers. That report was emailed to then-Kingdom Seneschal Mistress Robynne the Grey and the results were used in the creation of the Big Book of Warrants.
- Kingdom Scheduling Team ( along with Dame Ismay and Baroness Iyssa
- Lady in Waiting for Sven and Kolfinna
- Senior Lady in Waiting for Edric IV and Faizeh
- Senior Lady in Waiting for Edric V and Faizeh II
- Lady in Waiting for Edward and Mora, last part of reign
- Lady in Waiting for Sven II and Kolfinna II, 11/2008-6/2009
- Lady in Waiting For Edward II and Mora II
- Lady in Waiting for Wilhelm and Thaleia, (last part of reign)
- LT Lady in Waiting for Edward III and Mora III
- LT Lady in Waiting for Sven III and Cassandra
- Lady in Waiting for Mansur and Eilidh
- Lady in Waiting for Agrippa and Bridget
- Lady in Waiting for Mansur II and Eilidh II
- Chief Lady in Waiting to Agrippa II and Bridget II
- Senior Lady in waiting for Alexander and Tahira
Elevated to the Order of the Pelican by Alexander and Tahira January, 2018
- Mongol Hordes: A Historical Overview, Collegium Caidis Spring 2006
- Drop Spinning 101, Talon Crescent War 2015
- Co-Event Steward, Spring Crown Tourney 2006
- Co-Event Steward, Dun Or Anniversary 2007
- Event Steward, Dun Or Anniversary 2009
- Co-Autocrat, Queen's Champion Equestrian Spring 2009, 5/2/2009
- Staff, various demos held for the Lancaster Parks and Recreation-Lancaster Poppy Festival; Baronial Chatelaine and Seneschal while held those offices, 2006-2009
- Autocrat, Dun Or Anniversary 2010
- Event Steward, Dun Or Anniversary 2011
- Served as personal assistant to Great Western War 2012 Head Steward Dame Ismay of Giggleswick
- Judge at Pentathlon 2013, Ethnic Dance category
- Royal Liaison team member, Great Western War 2014
- Royal Liaison Co-Steward, Great Western War 2015 2016 and 2017