Great Western War 2022
Photo by Steffen Link
Great Western War XXIV
|Steward||Sir Gavin MacDhomhnuill|
|Archery Steward||Kazetani Tarou Noritatsu|
|Arts and Sciences Steward||Avicia de Na Baiona|
|Arts and Sciences Deputy||Jarlkona Stæina Hálfdanardóttir|
|Bale Master||Duke Alexander Caidus|
|Battlefield Support||Baroness Robyn Leland|
|Battlefield Support/Hospitality||Katrina Yarbrough|
|Battlemaster Rapier||Emil Grecian|
|Battlemaster Rapier Deputy||Jason Carter|
|Constable Caid||Ajax of the Horsemen|
|Constable West||Magnifica Christel Leake|
|Consulting Heraldry||Baroness Eridana Ambra Dragotta|
|DWP||Constantine mac Gavin mec Dhomhnuill|
|DWP Deputy||Sir Gavin MacDhomhnuill|
|Earl Marshal||Master Oliver|
|Equestrian||Rhua Cat Ifrinn|
|Exchequer||Mistress Colette de Montpellier|
|Exchequer Deputy||Mistress Lasairíona inghean Ghéibheannaigh|
|Gate Prime||Baroness Miðfjarðar-Dalla|
|Gate Deputy||Sunnifa Jónsdóttir|
|Facilities Prime||Baron Cormac MacCleod of Ostaig|
|Facilities Assistant||Lord Shao the Archer|
|Herald||Mistress Mary Dedwydd verch Gwallter|
|Herald, Morning Cry||Rycharde the Bowemon|
|HQ Prime||Lady Catylyn verch Morgant ap Llewellyn|
|HQ Deputy||Moira Pritani|
|Liason West Kingdom||Master Joel the Brewer|
|Land Prime||Baron Bjorn Zenthffeer|
|Land Deupty||Sir Andrew Baird|
|Merchant Prime||Lady Argenteilin filia Elffin|
|Merchant Deputy||Baroness Amicia Sennet de Bruges|
|Motor Pool||Baron Logan Black Rune|
|Production||Sir Ursul Vladislavl' pravnuk|
|Publicity Deputy||Baroness Briana MacCabe|
|Publicity Team||Lady Ragnailt Inghean Mhaoil Sheachlainn|
|Registration Prime||Baroness Brianna Je Nell Aislynn of Blue Shadows|
|Registration Deputy||THL Sakan bint al-Kimiya'i|
|Shuttles - Volunteer/Handicap||Baron Bryce & Baroness Fionna|
|Site Liason||Mistress Finella Harper|
|Thrown Weapons||Mistress Cecilia Medici|
|Unarmored Marshall||Mistress Cecilia Medici|
|Volunteers Prime||Kennari Aldgytha of Ashwood|
|Volunteers Deputy||Lord Shao the Archer|
|Volunteer Raffle Coodinator||Baroness Issya Ell'eva|
|Webwright||Baron Liam Mor Macgregor|
|Youth Combat||Cesar Alejandro de Baracoa|
- Valentine Martyn (Knight),
- Nikolaos Phaistios (MoD),
- Dafydd ap Tomas (Laurel),
- Dýrfinna Valsdóttir (Laurel),
- Sabyna of Aydon (Pel),
- Sigbiorn Sigmundarson (Pel)
- Brief listing of major points of the day
From the Kingdom of Caid Web Page
The Kingdom of Caid invites the populace of the Knowne World to join us this October in the Barony of Wintermist for our Halloween-themed War. GWW 2022 - Something SCA This Way Comes!
Gate Hours for GWW 2022 Tuesday 10/4: Noon to Midnight Wednesday 10/5: 8:00 a.m. - Midnight Thursday 10/6: 8:00 a.m. - Midnight (24 hours) Friday 10/7: 12:01 a.m. - Midnight (24 hours) Saturday 10/8: 12:01 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Sunday 10/9: CLOSED
|Arrival Dates||October 4-6||October 7-8||Day Passes|
Extra Land $35
Pre-registration closes on September 25, 2022; however, campers and day trippers will be able to register at gate. Cash only accepted at Gate. Please make checks payable to SCA, Inc./Kingdom of Caid.
- Fighting – Armored: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. 9am inspection / 10am fighting starts. Sides will be checked and balanced at HRM's and HRH's discretion with the goal of keeping as many groups with their own kingdom as possible while also having similar numbers.
- Fighting – Rapier: Join us on the Rapier Field Saturday after melee scenarios for an Armor-as-Worn Cut and Thrust tournament in honor of The Honorable Lady Meala Caimbeul. Your hosts, Master Malise MacKendry and Lord Edmund Barlow invite you to don your period armor, and cover up to 50% of your body. Plate is considered proof; chain or heavy leather protects against cuts. Members of the Populace are encouraged to attend and watch the fights in honor of our friend! All Fighters entering the lists must be Cut and Thrust authorized, and armored to Cut and Thrust standards. Combatants are not required to wear any additional armor, but are welcome and encouraged to! The list will be limited rounds dependent on the number of entrants, and fought with weapons of choice. We hope to see fighters from many Kingdoms in attendance. Armor to your home Kingdom’s standards, blow calling shall be to the standard Caid Rapier Cut & Thrust ruleset. Armor standards, all Fighters shall wear their Kingdom minimums for cut and thrust rapier, and are encouraged and permitted (but not required) to wear additional pieces of armor. Armor shall be simulated as it is openly worn and shall count for no more than 50% of the body.
- Youth Combat: 2pm Fri/Sat/Sun with Youth Rapier to follow at 3pm – both on the battlefield. Guardians for each participant must be present at all times.
- Equestrian: Thursday will be the meet & greet, then throughout the week there will be Jousting, Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Trick or Treating & Costumes for Rider/Ride encouraged, as well as Queen’s Championship.
- Merchants: Twilight Bazaar Friday Night for extended shopping hours.
- Artisan Exhibition: Saturday 10–12pm. All levels welcome to come display their arts at this non-judged event.
- A&S Classes: Greetings from The Arts & Sciences Steward. Whether you are a newcomer or an old timer, you’ll want to make sure to stop by the Arts & Sciences Area, and spend time with some of the most talented teachers and artisans of the Knowne World. We are very excited to present three full days of classes, hands-on workshops, and demos. Be sure to stop by the Artisans’ Showcase on Saturday morning 10am – 12pm, to meet some of the Knowne World’s finest artisans and ask them questions about their work. Leave one of your own special tokens behind, to show them your appreciation! Check the board at the Arts & Sciences Pavilion to see the class lists. Sign-up for classes begins at 9 am on Thursday, at the Arts & Sciences table.
- Bardic: Carpe Luxuriam’s Prize Bardic: Time: sign-ups open at 6:30 pm; competition begins at 7 pm. Are you a singer, storyteller, poet, or musician? Come share your performance around our fire and compete for the chance to win exciting prizes! Prizes vary each year but often include camp furniture, furs, jewelry, and alcohol (for those of age). New performers who’ve never competed and/or have been performing at SCA events for less than a year get a small prize just for showing up!
- Camp Decorating Contest: Judging will be 3pm Saturday with Prizes Awarded, with Trick or Treating to be held Saturday 3–4pm and 7–8pm.
From the Great Western War Website
- Angels Baronial Championship - Equestrian - Saturday, October 8th 10am - Noon: Their Excellencies of Angels invite all riders to vie for the opportunity to become Their Equestrian Champion Saturday, October 8th from 10am-Noon at Great Western War. Riders and their mounts are encouraged to participate in Halloween themed costume! Participants will defend the Baron and Baroness from the Headless Horsemen, retrieve and deliver bags of candy to Their Excellencies, and then demonstrate the best attributes of their mounts and celebration of the season in a 3-5 minute display of their choosing - riders wishing to use music need to bring their own device to play it from. Youth are invited to participate in the activities as well, and will have the opportunity to learn more about general horse care. Youth who choose to participate will ride stick horses in some of the activities. A Youth Champion will also be chosen. Also, rather than have the Trick or Treat time from 7-8pm in Equestrian Saturday evening after court, Their Excellencies have graciously allowed it to be part of the end of the Equestrian event due to the possible length of court activities that evening.
- Bardic Night at the Beggar's Inn - Saturday, October 8th
- Valkyrie Rose Tournament - Sunday Morning, October 9th: Come celebrate the pageantry and Chivalry of the medieval era. This tournament was the creation of Caid's beloved Duchess Kolfinna, and the Caidan Order of the Rose invite all attending Royal Consorts past and present to sponsor fighters to participate. Ladies/Lords of the Rose, please assemble at the Caid Royal Encampment (banners are encouraged) to process to the battlefield Sunday morning of Great Western War. Fighters should meet on the field. We will then line up according to (rough) precedence, and introduce our fighters. You may sponsor UP TO 2 armored and 2 rapier combatants, but only one Knight or MoD per style. The Roses will confer to determine the most chivalrous fighter from each style, for which the coveted banners will be bestowed. Because the tourney is named in honor of the Valkyrie who has gone on to Valhalla, participants are encouraged to wear her favorite color orange in her memory. (This is not a requirement.)
Thank You From the Stewards
Now that we've all recovered a bit from the war, the Stewards would like to extend a hearty thank you to everyone who joined us for GWW 24! It was our sincere pleasure to put on the war for our fellow Caidians and our guests from near and far. A major thank you to our entire staff!!!! You all worked so hard and you did an amazing job!!!
In addition, we have a few specific thanks to give.
First, thanks so much to Sir Ursul for taking on the Production job at the 11th hour. This is probably the hardest job in the war and it is usually thankless one at that. So thank you to Ursul. Now it is a thankful job.
Next, a huge thanks to Christel Leake for once again bringing her Constabulary expertise down from the West.
Thanks also to Cormac for all of the work he has done on the Facilities side for years and years. His deputy Shao has big shoes to fill but he'll do a great job!
Thanks to our amazing Gate crew led by Dalla. You all handled the chaos of the event with dignity and poise.
Thanks to the great HQ team. Catylyn and especially Moria kept things running like a well oiled machine, despite the Stewards throwing monkey wrenches at them.
A big thanks to Aldgytha for her years of heading up the Volunteers. We all how how hard it is to get anyone in the SCA all moving in the same direction at the same time, and she has proven her skills at it time and again.
We'd also like to thank Bjorn for his years of service as Land. He's handing off his measuring tape to Sir Andrew Baird but promises to be lurking in the background, which is not disturbing at all.
A huge thanks to Kimi for saving our bacon. She knows what she did!
Thanks as well to Sir Sigvaldr Bjarnarson for helping with our (thankfully) few injuries on the battlefield.
Thanks to Baron Logan and his team for keeping our snazzy (and so very loud) carts going.
Thanks to Mistress Collette for making sure we had all the moneys to make the war go.
Thanks to Mistress Finella Harper (Wendy Creek) for the massive headaches we subjected her to in dealing with the Park and the County. We literally could not have put on the war without her hard work.
Finally, two special thanks to mention.
Thanks to the Horsemen for their tireless work during the war. From their countless volunteers to their staff members to their oddly enthusiastic trash pick up, the Horsemen served this war well and to them we extend a hearty thanks.
A special thanks to Samantha Mann Hays (who's SCA name I always forget) and the whole Publicity Team for their amazing work this year. I think I can safely say that this has been the best publicity team we've ever had.
I am sure I am forgetting people, so to everyone we also give our thanks.
To all of Caid, we ask this. If you know or meet someone who worked or volunteered at GWW, please give them some thanks. Making the war happen is a long and hard job, and often means working in the background without much in the way of accolades or acknowledgment. So give them some love!
Finally, on behalf of all of the Stewards, thank you for coming to GWW 24 and we hope to see all of you next year for GWW 25
- Leave your memories here.
- Links to photo galleries, West Kingdom History page, etc.
|Previous Year||Current Year||Next Year|
|Events 2021||Events 2022||Events 2023|
|Go back||Go forward|
|Great Western War 2021 (includes QC Equestrian)||eventname 2023|
|Events of Caid|
|Events: 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s, 2020s
Other Information: Results