Astridr Selr Leifsdóttir
Winter Weekend 2007 working on Viking loom
Azure, a melusine with hands clasped at her breast argent, crined and tailed, and in chief three estoiles of eight rays Or
Mistress Astridhr Selr Leifsdóttir, OL, OP is an accomplished fiber artist who creates wonderous things in a range of art forms including spinning, weaving, dyeing, embroidery, and even raising silk worms. Along with being a teacher and researcher, she has been an avid supporter of the Bardic Arts for many years, and was recognized with a Harp Argent on 06/04/1994 by TRM Cristian and Crystal for her efforts. She is married to Master Eiríkr Mjoksiglandi Sigurðarson; they are the (real-world) parents of Lady Elisabeth Goodchilde and Tofi inn hvassi.
She was elevated to the Order of the Pelican on 11/14/1999 by TRM Francesc and Seanach, and to the Order of the Laurel by TRM Brand and Nuala on 07/24/2004 for Spinning. Notable in her Laurel ceremony was her presentation of a basket of silk worms as tools of her craft. Their Majesties kindly returned the basket into Mistress Astridr's keeping.
Note: Her preferred spelling of her given name is "Astridhr"
Offices & Positions
Projects & Publications
- Tournaments Illuminated, 'Threads to the Past: Medieval Activities for Children' (August 1996)
- Tournaments Illuminated, 'The Babee's Book: Authenticity Issues and Children's Activities' (January 1999)
- The Compleat Anachronist, #138 (January 2008), "Around the House: A Medieval Child’s Guide to Useful Skills"
- Spin-Off Magazine
- 'Spinning With Children: Creating Connection, Igniting the Spark', Summer 2012
- 'The Warp Weighted Loom', Summer 2013
- 'A Link to Spinners Past,' Summer 2013
- Cover Photo and Cover Article 'Journey to the Tinkuy: You're not leaving without Spinning!', Summer 2014
- "A Garden to Dye For" by Chris McLaughlin (April 2014). Two full-page photos of homespun and naturally dyed yarn (pgs 50 & 112), with yarn and photos provided by Mistress Astridhr.
- Participant in GWW Spinzilla 2015
- Participant in GWW Spinzilla 2016
- Basic Fiber Arts, Collegium Caidis Spring 2001
- Basic Beginning Fibers, Collegium Caidis Spring 2002
- Beginning Spinning, Collegium Caidis Spring 2002
- Weaving for Kids and Teens, Collegium Caidis Spring 2002
- Trouble Shooting Spinning, Collegium Caidis Fall 2002
- Fiber Survey, Collegium Caidis Fall 2003
- Needle Felting, Collegium Caidis Fall 2003
- All About Wool, Collegium Caidis Spring 2004
- Fiber Prep / Wool, Part 1, Collegium Caidis Fall 2005
- Fiber Prep / Wool, Part 2, Collegium Caidis Fall 2005
- Spinning Silk, Collegium Caidis Spring 2006
- Weaving on a Warp Weighted Loom, Collegium Caidis Spring 2007
- Spinning With Luxury Fibers, Collegium Caidis 2009
- Textile Book Of Hours: Being A Series Of Images Of Textile Creation In Some Form, Collegium Caidis 2009
- Silk Reeling, Collegium Caidis 2011
- KIDS! Make your own Spindle and SPIN!!!! , Great Western War 2015
- Make your own Spindle and SPIN!!!! , Great Western War 2015
|At her Laureling ceremony||Weaving||Cardweaving at GWW XV|
|Teaching spinning||Laurel elevation|
Lady Elisabeth Goodchilde, Mistress Astridr Selr Leifsdóttir, Master Eiríkr Mjoksiglandi Sigurðarson & Tofi inn hvassi, 11/14/1999
|With the Laurel Cope||With Master Eiríkr Mjoksiglandi Sigurðarson|
|Spinning||With a proto-project||Indigo blue hands|