Calafia-Gyldenholt Friendship Tourney 2015
Site tokens decorated for Calafia, Gyldenholt, and each Contrada'
The theme of this event was il Palio de Siena, a festival which originated near the end of the SCA period and continues to present day. The event theme was suggested by Baron Giuseppi. Caid organized itself into several "Contrada", each with a guild, colors and heraldry. Contests were held in pageantry, guild displays, costuming, musical performance, dance, trivia and flag throwing/twirling. Also, each Contrada fielded fighters in armored combat, rapier, unarmored combat, youth combat and thrown weapons. To earn an extra life in the tournament, fighters could compete in a hobbyhorse race.
banner created by Baroness Rebecca Mary Robynson
- Please feel free to record your memories of this event.
- Event Steward: Lady Nicolete de Brabant
- Baronage of Calafia: Baron Guy Rand Gallandon & Baroness Muirenn ingen Donndubáin
- Baronage of Gyldenholt: Baron Giles Hill & Barone Giuseppe Francesco da Borgia
Benvenuti per il Palio di Siena!
This is a team (contrada) event with 16 competition categories (combat, “horse race”, team pavilion vignettes, parade, costumes...and much more) per team. Contrade (teams) leaders and what they represent are posted below, and will be re-posted regularly. Any cross-posting to other lists is greatly appreciated.
Palio Contrade (Teams)
Your Palio Contrade teams, team leaders, and competitions are:
- Team 1 DRAGO (Dragon): The Bankers, led by THL Sabyna of Aydon. Colors: green and red w/yellow
- Team 2 GIRAFFA (Giraffe): The Painters, led by Mistress Aliskye Rosel. Colors: red and white
- Team 3 LUPA (She-Wolf): The Bakers, led by Mistress Ceara ingen Chonaill. Colors: black and white w/orange
- Team 4 NICCHIO (Seahell): The Potters, led by Baroness Elspeth of Stillwater of Starkhafn. Colors: blue w/red, gold, white
- Team 5 OCA (Goose): The Dye-makers, led by Mistress Flavia Beatrice Carmigniani, with THL Maeve Douglas. Colors: green w/white
- Team 6 VALDIMONTONE (Valley of the Ram): The Tailors, led by Dame Arianna Kateryn Nunneschild. Colors: red w/gold & red w/white
- Contrada Valdimontone
- From Dame Arianna: "Valdimontone wants YOU!!! Yes, you - you know you want to be fashionable, and all red and gold and white and stuff...and the Ram is a most excellent beastie! Join us!!! We'll make you look goooood!!!"
- Processional gonfalon and banner were created by Baroness Rebecca Mary Robynson
- Team 7 SELVA (Forest): The Weavers and Archers, led by Countess Bridget Lucia MacKenzie. Colors: orange w/green
The winner of each competition wins points for his/her contrada (team). Every competitor must be part of one of the seven Contrade (teams). If you are not associated with a team when you arrive at lists, the Lists Officer will assign you to a team. ALL competitors, please check in with your team's scorekeeper when you arrive at the event. Scorekeepers, please check in regularly with lists to report scores and to know changes or updates to scheduled competition times and locations, which will be printed on the official score sheet per team.
The sixteen competitions are:
- 1. The “horse” race, a hobbyhorse race to determine which competitors will win an extra life in heavy weapons combat. There will be 16 first and second place winners from 8 races who will receive an extra life token. The horse race is a lively and much anticipated event of the Palio in Siena. Our version runs on the silly side. Fighters are not required to participate, but winning earns more points for your contrada.
- 2. Armored Combat, single elimination unless the combatant wins an extra life in the horse race
- 3. Unarmored Combat
- 4. Rapier
- 5. Thrown Weapons
- 6. Youth Combat
- 7. 15th Century Italian Costuming
- Female - Laurel entrant
- Male - Laurel entrant
- Female - Non-Laurel
- Male - Non-Laurel
- 8. Vignette, a decorated area of your team’s pavilion dedicated to the theme of the event and your team’s animal symbol and craft
- 9. Flag twirling – alla Palio (Palio style) Video example
- 10. Flag design – SCA period
- 11. Flag design – silly
- 12. Newest Newcomers – Find your 3 newest newcomers and add their collective time in the SCA. The lowest score wins.
- 13. Bardic - the guideline is “somewhat period, lively, and inspirational."
- 14. Dance - the guideline is “somewhat period, lively, and inspirational."
- 15. Trivia – 15th & 16th c. Renaissance Italy
- 16. Corteo Storico: Procession of the Contrade; parade of teams around the eric
Information about the Palio di Siena
- Siena's Contrade
- Palios & Jousts in Arezzo, Italy
- Dolls in Palio Garb
- This event was also highlighted in the September 2014 issue of The Seraph
- 8:00 am Site opens for set-up
- 10:00 am Opening Court (or at Their Majesties' leisure)
- 5:30 pm Sunset
- Site: Mile Square Regional Park - Forest Shelter, Fountain Valley, CA
- This is a dry site.
- Sorry, merchants are not permitted at this event.
- Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times - no longer than 6' leash, please.
- Park entry is $5 per car, per entry.
- Pavilions and sunshades must be no larger than 400 square feet.
- Adult with proof of membership: $8
- Children ages 5 to 11: $5
- Children ages 4 and under are guests of the barony.
- A non-member surcharge of $5 will be applied to all non-members ages 12 and over.
- Park entry is $5.00 per car, so carpooling is highly recommended.
- If you are coming from the north, exit off the 405 freeway on Warner EAST. Travel on Warner about a mile and turn left onto Euclid. The park entrance will be on your left.
- If you are coming from the south, exit off of the 405 freeway on Euclid and turn left onto Euclid, at the light. Travel about a mile, pass Warner and the park entrance is on your left. Once in the park bear right and follow the main road past The Groves to Forest Shelter.
|Go back||Current Year||Go forward|
|Events 2014||Events 2015||Events 2016|
|Events of Caid|
|Events: 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s, 2020s
Other Information: Results