Azure, a saltire invected Or, two keys and a mascle fretted sable. Motto: "Dum vivamus, saltaremus"
His Lordship, Baron Giles HillRRE, joined the Society in 15 A.S., in Ansteorra. He co-founded the Shire (now Barony) of Bonwicke, and served as its Founding Herald and later as its Seneschal. He published several newsletters in Ansteorra, among them the Shire newsletter and a textile periodical. He moved to Calafia in Caid in 20 A.S. He served as Trident Pursuivant in Calafia for several years. In 1990 he moved to the Barony of Gyldenholt, and served as Gold Forest Herald during the tenures of Wulfric and Lasairfhíona and Ursul and Colette.
He has autocratted divers events, among them the first seven Portrero wars in Calafia, the first Ansteorra/Atenveldt war, local and kingdom collegia, and many local tournaments and court events.
Among his amusements are the teaching of dance, specifically English Country, and English and Italian Court dance styles. He also practices and teaches calligraphy and costuming, with the clothing of the Elizabethan era his especial interest. He is also an embroiderer, singer, player, and a Court Herald (holding the personal heraldic title Chrysostom).
His Lordship's arms were Awarded by Sigmund II and Sieglinde, the 8th Monarchs of Ansteorra, in AS XVII (1983 A.D.). His motto, Dum vivamus saltaremus, ("While we live, let us dance!") refers to the endeavours for which he was elevated to the Order of the Laurel by TRM Dietrich and Déshivé at Twelfth Night. He was invited to join the Order of the Pelican at Calafia/Gyldenholt Friendship by TRM Patrick and Kara, and was elevated by TRM Conrad and Eleanor at Great Western War XIII. At their stepping down, Kings Agrippa III and Dawid granted him an Augmentation of Arms.
In June of 2012, Baron Giles and his husband, Messer Giuseppe Francesco da Borgia, became the 7th and 8th Barons of Gyldenholt, the first same-gender baronial nobility in the Society. A complete set of His Lordship's honours and awards may be found here.
Giles Hill is an English gentleman, living in London during the post-Armada (1588), pre-Leicester rebellion (1599) portion of Elizabeth's reign.
- Gareth Nikodemos Somerset, apprentice (released when elevated to the Order of the Pelican)
- Mons von Goarshausen, apprentice (released when elevated to the Order of Chivalry)
Offices & Positions
- Herald of Bonwicke (1980-1982)
- Seneschal of Bonwicke (1982-1985)
- Trident Pursuivant, Calafia (1987-1990)
- Autocrat, Potrero Wars (1986-1990)
- Secretary of the Army General Staff
- Minister of Arts & Sciences, Caid
- Chamberlain of Timothy and Tristana
- Co-Chamberlain (with Cassaundra Igraine of Gwynedd) of Alaric and Kissa
- GoldForest Pursuivant, Gyldenholt (2006-present)
- Editor, Compendium Caidis, 2008-Present
- Advisor for Sven and Kolfinna, 2006
- Advisor for Sven II and Kolfinna II, 11/2008-6/2009
- Companion for Edward II and Mora II, 6/6/2009-11/7/2009
- Chief Steward for Patrick and Kara, 11/7/2009-6/5/2010
- Silver Trumpet Herald, 6/4/2011-present
- Reeve, Barony of Gyldenholt, 6/11/11-6/16/12
- Baron of Gyldenholt, 6/16/12-6/11/2016
- Co-Chamberlain (with Giuseppe Francesco da Borgia) for Agrippa III and Dawid
- Entertainment Coordinator, Angels Melee Tourney 1990
- Beginning Blackletter, Collegium Caidis Fall 2001
- Heraldry at Court: Trials, Tribulations & Triumphs, co-teacher Collegium Caidis Spring 2004
- Elizabethan Commonplaces, co-teacher Collegium Caidis Fall 2005
Projects & Publications
Scrolls (calligraphy only)
|Award of Arms||Adelheit Schwarzenkatze|
|Award of Arms||Katherine Lynten of CaerLeon|
|Award of Arms||Rand Reynald|
|||Laurel||Caterucia Bice da Ghiacceto|
- Giles' Facebook page.
- Light of the Desert Best Single Encampment at Al-Sahid's Highland War 2010 along with Giuseppe Francesco da Borgia
- Poetry Competition at Angel's 39th Anniversary
Master Giles Hill & Mistress Angelina Nicollette de Beaumont
- My favorite memory of Giles Hill is at 12th Night 2009 when Sven and I were holding court. We had a couple of no-shows for awards we had called, and I said out loud "doesn't anyone want an award?" Giles replied from the back of the hall, "I'll take one, Your Majesty" to much laughter. Sven and I winked at each other and called him down. As his knees hit the pillow he started making apologies and then Su Crescent went into the Personal Heraldic Title ceremony, an award we had previously planned to give to him. I giggled all through the ceremony, but it was well deserved and I gave the non-giggle speech I had planned at feast. By far one of my most favorite moments in a court. --Kolfinna kottr
GH: The really funny thing is that Lorissa du Griffin and I were sitting in the back of court, snarking, and I had just observed that --since the only things I hadn't gotten were a Pelican, a Knighthood, or banished, and that since I'd have advanced notice of any of them-- there was no point in my coming to court anymore.