GWW Spinzilla 2016
The Team Banner - "We spin"
- Sponsor: Hedgehog Handworks (Mistress Xena Baxter Wynthorpe & Master Colin Wynthorpe)
- Event Steward: Mistress Astridhr Selr Leifsdottir
Spinzilla 2016 - "Spinzilla is a world-wide spinning event where competing teams and individuals challenge each other to see who can spin the most yarn in a week! Although the competition lasts only a week, many teams and individuals are already training, preparing their fiber and monstering up their spinning skills."
Hedgehog Handworks GWW Spinners (Spinzilla 2016)
- Baroness Arianwen Megan McBride of Arainn
- Magistra Astra Christiana Benedict
- Mistress Astridhr Selr Leifsdottir
- Baroness Beathog nic Dhonnchaidh
- Lady Borgunna Varsdottir
- Her Royal Highness, Crown Princess Bridget
- Lady Delphine de Montaillou
- THLady Éadaoin Chruitire
- Mistress Ellyn of Tanwayour
- Mistress Fionnghuala de Buchanan
- Lady Lettice Blythe
- Dame Lynnette de Sandoval del Valle de los Unicornios
- Baroness Magge Shaw
- Mistress Mary Taran of Glastonbury
- Dame Richenda Elizabeth Coffin
- Mistress Thea Gabrielle Northernridge
- Baroness Therese of the White Griffin
- THL Mariam Albarran
- Lady Elspeth Colquhoun
- the lady Maedb Hawkins
- Debbie Bartle
- Mistress Marielle de Rivage du Corbeau, OL (West)
- THL Muirenn ingen Ailella
- Laura Bruns Wray
- Michael Woody
Once again, SCA spinners and friends will gather at Great Western War 2016 to participate as a team in the world-wide Spinzilla activity in October. (At-home spinners will also be contributing their efforts to Hedgehog Handworks GWW Spinners' total yardage.)
The GWW Spinzilla 2016 team is sponsored by Hedgehog Handworks, purveyors of needlecraft supplies to various historical re-enactment communities, including the SCA, since 1987.
From Mistress Astra: "What Matters Most"
Let me let you in on a secret. Our team is not going to win Spinzilla. We’re not going to even come close. And that’s ok. There are some teams - highly competitive - with experienced spinners who spin all day, every day. Last year’s winning team, each spinner averaged 4 miles of yarn! We are not going to beat that team.
What we are going to do is:
- Challenge ourselves with individual goals that are realistic for us. Goals that push us a bit to improve in our craft, but not goals that set us up for failure.
- We are going to support each other, help other team members meet their goals, and celebrate their successes.
- We are going to share our enthusiasm for spinning with others. We are going to teach new spinners.
- We are going to enjoy time with our friends and families. And we’re going to do other things that we love.
- We are not going to use Spinzilla as an excuse to let things go, like doing the dishes and making the bed. Unless you want to, then that’s ok.
- Mostly, we are going to smile, and laugh, and have a good time.
Fiber Arts Classes at GWW 2016
Please visit 2016 Fiber Arts Classes to see the "Fiber Arts" track (and lots of other classes as well!)
|Spinner||Fiber Type(s) Spun||Yardage (to date)|
|Baroness Arianwen Megan McBride of Arainn||1308 yds|
|Magistra Astra Christiana Benedict||Superfine Merino||2371.5 yds|
|Mistress Astridhr Selr Leifsdottir||Various colors||952.75 yds|
|Baroness Beathog nic Dhonnchaidh||820.8 yds|
|Lady Borgunna Varsdottir||68 yds|
|Her Royal Highness, Crown Princess Bridget||2 yds|
|Debbie Bartle||5 skeins||1623 yds|
|Lady Delphine de Montaillou||Variegated yellow-lavender wool||570 yds|
|THLady Éadaoin Chruitire||Purple wool||1703 yds|
|Lady Elspeth Colquhoun||7 yds|
|Mistress Ellyn of Tanwayour||703 yds|
|Mistress Fionnghuala de Buchanan||Variegated red wool||152.25 yds|
|Laura Bruns Wray||Purple Wensleydale||130 yds|
|Lady Lettice Blythe||White wool||420 yds|
|Dame Lynnette de Sandoval del Valle de los Unicornios||Black wool||15 yds|
|the lady Maedb Hawkins||Mix of fibers, including cotton-silk blend (yellow), super-fine merino (turquoise),
finn, alpaca, optim, in grease romney.
|Baroness Magge Shaw||Rose shades wool||689 yds|
|THL Mariam Albarran||Multicolored||242 yds|
|Mistress Marielle de Rivage du Corbeau, OL (West)||338 yds|
|Mistress Mary Taran of Glastonbury||Shetland sock yarn||1760 yds|
|Michael Woody||Multi-colored yarns||2681 yds|
|THL Muirenn ingen Ailella||Cream, brown and grey wool||169 yds|
|Dame Richenda Elizabeth Coffin||Red wool||1396 yds|
|Mistress Thea Gabrielle Northernridge||39 yds|
|Baroness Therese of the White Griffin||White, grey and black wool||832 yds|
Baroness Arianwen Megan McBride of Arainn
Mistress Astra Christiana Benedict
Mistress Astridr Selr Leifsdóttir
Baroness Beathog nic Dhonnchaidh
Mistress Ellyn of Tanwayour
Mistress Fionnghuala de Buchanan
Lady Lettice Blythe
Baroness Magge Shaw
THL Mariam Albarran
Mistress Therese of the White Griffin
HRH Bridget Lucia MacKenzie has a close encounter with the Spinzilla Sheep
His Grace, Duke Guy of Castle Kirk--artist, metal-worker, architect and now spinner!
Mistress Mary Taran of Glastonbury's spinning mascot Shama Llama Ding Dong
Dame Lynnette de Sandoval del Valle de los Unicornios's mascot who deposited well-spun black wool
Share your memories of Spinzilla 2016!
|Go back||Current Year||Go forward|
|Events 2015||Events 2016||Events 2017|
|Events of Caid|
| Events: 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s
Other Information: Results