User talk:James the Inconstant
——————————————— MY TALK PAGE ———————————————
Welcome to my talk page.
- Please post new messages at the bottom of the page to prevent confusion.
- Please sign your comments. Type
after your text or use the edit toolbar.
- Please use section headings to separate conversation topics.
- Please be nice.
- I've activated your account so you should now be able to edit articles on this site. Please visit Help:Contents for site rules and editing assistance. Welcome!--Lachlan 09:57, 9 April 2009 (PDT)
- Thank you!----James the Inconstant 10:53, 9 April 2009 (PDT)
- James, I'm curious. What is the canting significance of your arms?--Lachlan 21:34, 11 April 2009 (PDT)
- Consider the words of the Immortal Bard:
O, swear not by the moon, the inconstant moon,
That monthly changes in her circled orb,
Lest that thy love prove likewise variable.
Now consider that the bezant and incresent on my Arms are actually meant to designate a full moon and a cresent moon. The rest is left as an exercise for the reader. <grin>--James the Inconstant 22:48, 11 April 2009 (PDT)
I am loving all the memories, thank you so much for sharing! --Kolfinna 10:21, 14 April 2009 (PDT)
- Thank you. <beam> I enjoy telling them. I have just finished the contemporary account of War with the West 1980. The juicy parts are now posted. <grin>--James the Inconstant 12:05, 14 April 2009 (PDT)
I've seen that page before, but the lineage is by king who elevated, not squirehood lineage. --Kolfinna 18:45, 12 May 2009 (PDT)
James - I'm loving all the work and edits you do here. Thanks again for so many contributions! --Kolfinna 11:58, 16 June 2009 (PDT)
I see that you have started adding categories to your articles, which is good! However we've been thinking that we aren't going to add group categories (Dreiburgen, Heatherwyne, etc) to individual populace pages (like a category on the B&B page for Waldt would be fine, but not the individual person). --Kolfinna 11:12, 15 July 2009 (PDT)
I had been planning to send you a note of thanks, but had not gotten to it yet. I appreciate the important work you did last evening. I also appreciate your other contributions since becoming a commenter.--Lachlan 13:08, 2 October 2009 (PDT)
Given your constant prescence and useful contributions to this site, it seems reasonable that you should be part of the team. Would you be interested in being an editor? For the most part, the differences between commenter and editor are minimal. You would, however, be listed on the Help:Team page, so it is possible you might be contacted by someone requesting help. And you would receive an occasional message from the Admin, like the recent one on proposed rules change.
Editor or not, you are welcome to leave your thoughts regarding the proposed change at Help talk:Rules (Yes, you've already commented, but that was on an early draft)--Lachlan 22:05, 16 November 2009 (PST)
Subcategorization of Populace pages
Hi. You've noticed my current project of subcategorizing the populace category to make it more useful to visitors. I find it very interesting seeing the names and info of the populace as I zip on by. But as enjoyable as I find it, I think it would be wise to ask for help. Are you interested in working on that? If so, let me know, and I'll give you some instructions.--Lachlan 23:04, 27 November 2009 (PST)
Dinosaurs - Photos
All I can tell you is that the page is linked off the photo page of the Dreiburgen web site. Since I wasn’t sure about permission to post issues so I just provided the link. I also believe, based on my research through my old CP library that some of Gorlan captions may be off by a year or so. Be sure to compare his notes to the event listings that have already been entered in to the Wiki. --Malcolm Alberic 13:27, 21 December 2009 (PST)
Image Use on the Wiki
The Society webminister has instructed us to begin collecting releases before uploading/publishing new images on this site. To help facilitate this, the users authorized to upload files has been restricted to Editors and Administrators, specifically excluding Commenters. Anyone may submit files for inclusion via the Media Submission Form.
While free to upload files, you, the editors, will still have to collect releases and forward them to the Administrator. We are permitted to accept electronic releases via email. The release may read:
I, [Modern Name] ([SCA Name]) authorize the use of the following media files to be used within the pages of the Compendium Caidis (AKA Caid Wiki):
- [List of filenames]
This step is not necessary in cases where the Administrator already has a release for the submitted files. Examples include:
- Images already published on www.sca-caid.org may be used here without additional releases. This includes the Caid Roll of Arms. Please try and provide credit on the file's "File:" page, if known.
- Any file from the sites listed under "Full Use" at Help: Media may be uploaded without additional release. When using these sites, please include the artist/photographer credit on the image's "File:" page. You may include the source URL which would help us if we later need to find the release for a specific file.
- Any file submitted via Persona Submission Form or Media Submission Form has a release attached that is sent to the Administrator.
This change does not in any way change permissions to add or edit text, links, etc.
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. As this will surely increase my own workload, I expect I will be seeking specific help in this area in the near future.--Lachlan 21:30, 26 July 2010 (PDT)
Valdis has been active on this site since June 2008. Particularly, she has spent a great deal of time working on the colossal Populace Category, reformatting the populace pages in the formative days of the site, proofreading and fixing name spelling errors and formatting errors, adding offices and personal blazons, assisting with the sub-categorization of the category, etc.
I have great faith that she will serve the community well in her new capacity, adding fresh enthusiasm and finding new ways to make the site better for the users. That said, I'm sure she will need help handling the ever-increasing workload of Administrator. Please lend her your support as your time permits, either by offering to help with special projects, or by doing general editing as needed.
Twice it has been my honor and joy to serve the Caidan populace in this office. I thank you all. I am proud of the work I've done here, and look forward to continuing to "tinker" as an Editor.--Lachlan 21:44, 13 August 2010 (PDT)
To the Editors
As Lachlan said, I have been with the wiki since June of 2008. During that time I have come to appreciate and value all of the work that has gone into the establishment and continued growth of the wiki, not only as a source of information for our Kingdom, but also as a legacy of someone we all hold dear to our hearts. Both Kolfinna and Lachlan put so much of themselves into the Compendium Caidis that they inspired others to continue those efforts, as they have inspired the editors and myself, as well as all of the users of this wiki. My primary goal as admin is to continue and nurture the work they began; and also to fulfill the purpose of the wiki which is to create a source of knowledge gained from life in Caid and the SCA.
I would like to sincerely thank Lachlan for his faith and confidence in my abilities to serve as the wiki administrator. I would also like to thank Lachlan and all of you for continuing to serve as editors. --Valdis 18:23, 14 August 2010 (PDT)
A year ago Kolfinna sent a yearly post to all of the editors asking if they would like to continue in their roles as editors, saying that "The editor position on the wiki requires a bit more responsibility than the regular user". I am continuing that tradition and am asking those in the Editor List if they wish to continue in that role, or begin working in that capacity (there are a couple of you on the Editor list who are not on the Editor staff). Anyone currently in the Editor member list but are not on the Help:Team team may become a member of the Editor Team, just let me know you would like to work in that capacity. Also let me know if you would like to become a member of the Commenter group, you will still be able to edit pages on the wiki as a commenter you just will not have the responsibilities of an Editor.
For those who wish to remain as wiki Editors:
1. Please send me your email address - either add it to your preferences (where it will remain private), or send to me at email@example.com.
2. Add a note to your User Talk page (in response to this message) that you would like to continue or begin working as an editor or become a commenter.
3. Let me know if you believe your work with the wiki encompasses more that the area(s) you are currently allocated and let me know what areas you feel you can monitor/survey. Check the Help:Team page for the current list of Editors and the areas allocated to everyone. --Valdis 02:18, 25 August 2010 (PDT)
1. My email address is correct in my preferences.
2. I would be honored to continue as a wiki editor.
3. The Help:Team list entry looks fine.
Thank you for the opportunity to help.
--James the Inconstant 20:19, 25 August 2010 (PDT)
- Thank you! Your continued service on the wiki is greatly appreciated! --Valdis 02:46, 27 August 2010 (PDT)
Please join me in welcoming Lachlan of Cromarty back as the Administrator of the Caid Wiki. His dedication and devotion to the Wiki have been ever present since the birth of the Wiki and it is with complete confidence in his knowledge and leadership that the Wiki will continue to grow and prosper with his guidance. I want to thank all of the editors for your work on the Wiki. It has been an honor to be part of the team that continues Kolfinna's legacy ~ The Compendium Caidis. Thank you all for all that you do. --Valdis 22:06, 3 April 2014 (PDT)
Editors - If you no longer wish to be an active editor, please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know. The only difference would be that you would no longer be listed on the Editor staff, and would no longer be expected to assume the responsibilities of an editor. You would still be able to edit pages on the Wiki. Thank you for all you have contributed to the Caid Wiki! --Valdis 12:15, 23 November 2013 (PST)
- I've added you to the upload group, so you should again be able to upload images. By adding images to the wiki, you grant permission to publish here indefinitely, though some images may have to be removed later. Please include the photographer/artist credits in the image description (even if you took the photo). See you around!--Lachlan 22:47, 15 July 2014 (PDT)
- Thank you!--James the Inconstant 17:23, 16 July 2014 (PDT)