- 1 Wiki Editors
- 2 Welcome Valdis!
- 3 Image Use on the Wiki
- 4 Scroll Notes
- 5 Categories
- 6 Images
- 7 Pent Name
- 8 Lyondemere
- 9 Scroll Stuff
- 10 Gallery Tag
- 11 Wiki Editor
- 12 Test Area
- 13 Scribe Page Question
- 14 Scrolls on the page for Arianna ny Shane
- 15 Fionnabhair Kyriath Inghean Uí Néill
- 16 File:TheaGabrielleNorthernridge6.JPG
- 17 Collegium 2011
- 18 To the Upload Editors
- 19 Out-of-Kingdom Scribes
- 20 Admin Notes
- 21 Statistics
- 22 Scribes at Large (Out of Kingdom Scribes)
Please join me in welcoming Lachlan of Cromarty back as the Administrator of the Caid Wiki. His dedication and devotion to the Wiki have been ever present since the birth of the Wiki and it is with complete confidence in his knowledge and leadership that the Wiki will continue to grow and prosper with his guidance. I want to thank all of the editors for your work on the Wiki. It has been an honor to be part of the team that continues Kolfinna's legacy ~ The Compendium Caidis. Thank you all for all that you do. --Valdis 22:04, 3 April 2014 (PDT)
A year ago Kolfinna sent a yearly post to all of the editors asking if they would like to continue in their roles as editors, saying that "The editor position on the wiki requires a bit more responsibility than the regular user". I am continuing that tradition and am asking those in the Editor List if they wish to continue in that role, or begin working in that capacity (there are a couple of you on the Editor list who are not on the Editor staff). Anyone currently in the Editor member list but are not on the Help:Team team may become a member of the Editor Team, just let me know you would like to work in that capacity. Also let me know if you would like to become a member of the Commenter group, you will still be able to edit pages on the wiki as a commenter you just will not have the responsibilities of an Editor. Valdis 2010
For those who wish to remain as wiki Editors:
1. Please send me your email address - either add it to your preferences (where it will remain private), or send to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Add a note to your User Talk page (in response to this message) that you would like to continue or begin working as an editor or become a commenter.
3. Let me know if you believe your work with the wiki encompasses more that the area(s) you are currently allocated and let me know what areas you feel you can monitor/survey. Check the Help:Team page for the current list of Editors and the areas allocated to everyone. --Valdis 02:22, 25 August 2010 (PDT)
Valdis has been active on this site since June 2008. Particularly, she has spent a great deal of time working on the colossal Populace Category, reformatting the populace pages in the formative days of the site, proofreading and fixing name spelling errors and formatting errors, adding offices and personal blazons, assisting with the sub-categorization of the category, etc.
I have great faith that she will serve the community well in her new capacity, adding fresh enthusiasm and finding new ways to make the site better for the users. That said, I'm sure she will need help handling the ever-increasing workload of Administrator. Please lend her your support as your time permits, either by offering to help with special projects, or by doing general editing as needed.
Twice it has been my honor and joy to serve the Caidan populace in this office. I thank you all. I am proud of the work I've done here, and look forward to continuing to "tinker" as an Editor.--Lachlan 21:42, 13 August 2010 (PDT)
To the Editors
As Lachlan said, I have been with the wiki since June of 2008. During that time I have come to appreciate and value all of the work that has gone into the establishment and continued growth of the wiki, not only as a source of information for our Kingdom, but also as a legacy of someone we all hold dear to our hearts. Both Kolfinna and Lachlan put so much of themselves into the Compendium Caidis that they inspired others to continue those efforts, as they have inspired the editors and myself, as well as all of the users of this wiki. My primary goal as admin is to continue and nurture the work they began; and also to fulfill the purpose of the wiki which is to create a source of knowledge gained from life in Caid and the SCA.
I would like to sincerely thank Lachlan for his faith and confidence in my abilities to serve as the wiki administrator. I would also like to thank Lachlan and all of you for continuing to serve as editors. --Valdis 18:20, 14 August 2010 (PDT)
Image Use on the Wiki
The Society webminister has instructed us to begin collecting releases before uploading/publishing new images on this site. To help facilitate this, the users authorized to upload files has been restricted to Editors and Administrators, specifically excluding Commenters. Anyone may submit files for inclusion via the Media Submission Form.
While free to upload files, you, the editors, will still have to collect releases and forward them to the Administrator. We are permitted to accept electronic releases via email. The release may read:
- I, [Modern Name] ([SCA Name]) authorize the use of the following media files to be used within the pages of the Compendium Caidis (AKA Caid Wiki):
- [List of filenames]
This step is not necessary in cases where the Administrator already has a release for the submitted files. Examples include:
- Images already published on www.sca-caid.org may be used here without additional releases. This includes the Caid Roll of Arms. Please try and provide credit on the file's "File:" page, if known.
- Any file from the sites listed under "Full Use" at Help: Media may be uploaded without additional release. When using these sites, please include the artist/photographer credit on the image's "File:" page. You may include the source URL which would help us if we later need to find the release for a specific file.
- Any file submitted via Persona Submission Form or Media Submission Form has a release attached that is sent to the Administrator.
This change does not in any way change permissions to add or edit text, links, etc.
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. As this will surely increase my own workload, I expect I will be seeking specific help in this area in the near future.--Lachlan 21:26, 26 July 2010 (PDT)
- I've been poking about in the AoA Scrolls category and made a couple of notes for you. See File talk:CoronationSpring03 36.JPG and File talk:CoronationSpring03 3.JPG--Lachlan 22:19, 16 March 2010 (PDT)
Aliskye, when added the date range categories to the scrolls you are leaving off the scroll part. It should be [[Category:1983 Scrolls]], not [[Category:1983]]. Otherwise things are looking great. Thanks! --Kolfinna 13:12, 14 April 2009 (PDT)
- Thanks! I think I've corrected everything (plus realized I wasn't putting the name of the scroll type in. Fussy wiki. :) I'm catching on slowly...sorta. user:aliskye
- Yes, I think I might be able to do that. Did you upload a new version with the old name? It is likely that the full-sized file is now correct, but the thumbnail is incorrect. This is a known bug with our Wiki.--Lachlan 14:51, 15 April 2009 (PDT)
- Ha-rumph! I deleted the first image, AliskyeMacKyvenRaizel5.JPG, but it remains in the category!--Lachlan 14:56, 15 April 2009 (PDT)
Hi! you are doing such a great job of putting up scrolls, that I hate to even say this --- I was following Natalya's scroll making career (didn't realize she had done one), and found it linked to a picture of a Thea scroll. Looks like a mix up!--EowynA 16:33, 24 April 2009 (PDT)
- Did some formatting experiments today. Check out Aelfred Raedwald of Devonport and Agatha of Tintagel--Lachlan 13:00, 28 April 2009 (PDT)
- The code for the table is a bit more difficult to write. I think it's a personal taste question for you. If you like the table, great. Is there anything you _don't_ like about the table, that maybe can be fixed before copying the formatting to umpteen populace pages?--Lachlan 13:22, 28 April 2009 (PDT)
Fixed :)--Kolfinna 21:16, 26 April 2009 (PDT)
Bummer. And I just added a couple of links to the History section of the Lyondemere Wiki, like, Friday. I wouldn't exactly call it "redundant" myself. "Abridged" might be a better term. I suppose you could make articles like "Lyondemere Meetings," "Lyondemere Officers", "Lyondemere Archery"...--Lachlan 15:55, 27 April 2009 (PDT)
- I don't know how to change the alphabetization rules of the wiki, if that is even possible. You might ask yourself the question, "Are the year categories useful at all?" The answer might well be "no", since they're categorized by award date, not the date the art was created.
- I'll try and investigate that.
- There is a redirect page for Eowyn Amberdrake, it just is not categorized. I suppose the redirect page could be categorized, which would mean she would appear twice on the list. If so, should it also be categorized for Laurels and Pelicans categories?
- I think, to make what you want, you would need to build a table within an article, probably "Scrolls".--Lachlan 12:36, 14 May 2009 (PDT)
- Quoting Kolfinna:
- To completely remove the (year) scrolls category, yes you would have to remove it from each individual page. However you could just remove it from obvious linking by removing the category:scrolls link on each of the year pages. That would stop it from being a sub category... --Kolfinna 14:08, 14 May 2009 (PDT)
- The only way I can figure to make an index of scroll recipients is the "hard way". That is, bullet lists.--Lachlan 17:19, 9 June 2009 (PDT)
- Sorry for the jargon. Most lists of data on this site use bullet lists, which are indicated by an asterisk at the beginning of the line. Here's a possible format:
== Somebody of Somewhere ==
*[[:Image:CoronationSpring03 52.JPG|Award of Arms scroll]]
*[[:Image:CoronationSpring03 53.JPG|Award of Arms scroll (detail)]]
...And so on...
- Hmm... I think that readers might be more interested in seeing scrolls on the recipient's own populace page, rather than browsing a list by recipient. I agree with you we would have to add a heading, as a scroll is almost always not a project of the recipient. Kingdom Scrolls Received? Scrolls for <name of recipient>?--Lachlan 13:52, 11 June 2009 (PDT)
- Not sure what happened, that page was in the section I was checking for unknown links today, so I have no idea why the scroll thumbnails would have been removed. Sorry about that! --Valdis 00:35, 9 July 2009 (PDT)
Looking through the list for unknown scribes. The one you have for my AoA on the list as of today is by Vigdís vestfirzka. It was a replacement for the original AoA scroll that I got waybackwhen that was destroyed by fire. Mary Taran.
Hiya Aliskye, I just learned about the gallery tag that wiki has, and I thought you might find it useful. Take a look at White Scarves and see how I galleried their pictures. I put syntax help up at Help:Gallery --Kolfinna 16:56, 28 July 2009 (PDT)
Greetings. This is a blanket note being sent to all the Editors of the CaidWiki. It has been approximately a year since most of you have held this position. The editor position on the wiki requires a bit more responsibility than the regular user, as you are a go to resource for people needing help and are a reviewer for the areas allocated to you (as shown on the Help:Team). If you'd like to remain as an editor for another year, please reply to this message. If you'd like to become a regular user (no responsibility, but still have the ability to edit anything any time), please reply to this message. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Thanks! --Kolfinna 11:19, 7 August 2009 (PDT)
I've gotten a little busy with work (which ebbs and flows all the time) but I'm still very interested in continuing as an editor and working with the scroll and scribes sections. Aliskye 12:56, 11 August 2009 (PDT)
- Cool. Thanks for staying on. I appreciate all your hard work! --Kolfinna 15:51, 11 August 2009 (PDT)
Scribe Page Question
- Replied on my talk page.--Lachlan 21:45, 3 November 2009 (PST)
Scrolls on the page for Arianna ny Shane
Aliskye, While correcting a link I noticed that the file image for the first two scrolls should be reversed. The first one says it's for Marcel Longueville but it's the scroll for Lúarán MacCearnaigh (was listed originally as Lauran) and the scroll for Lúarán is actually the scroll for Marcel. I didn't want to risk messing up the table so I'm leaving this note for you to decide how you want to correct it. --Valdis 23:17, 2 January 2010 (PST)
You're welcome! I wasn't sure how to change the info on the image file but I'll check it out and do that in the future. Thanks! --Valdis 17:25, 5 January 2010 (PST)
This page contains some mixed-up mark-up relating to scrolls table. You can find it near the bottom. I'm not sure what needs to be done to clean it up. Can you check it out? Thanks.--Lachlan 21:54, 9 February 2010 (PST)
All fixed! Aliskye 22:05, 9 February 2010 (PST)
- I contacted Musa ibn Ibrahim al-Athir and he confirmed that he had done the illumination on this scroll--Lachlan 21:29, 18 May 2010 (PDT)
- Thank you! --Valdis 23:48, 25 April 2011 (PDT)
To the Upload Editors
Caid Roll of Arms
Some of the Devices on the Caid Roll of Arms have mistakes. During the upcoming year (or longer), one of the primary artists of the RoA, Damian von Baden will be correcting the mistakes, meanwhile, please refrain from transferring the RoA heraldic images over to the Wiki unless you know for certain that the image has been corrected. If anyone would like to volunteer to correct the images already on the Wiki that are among those that have been corrected, please contact me for a list. Wiki Administrator at email@example.com
It isn't a bad idea to consolidate all of those scribes who have never resided here under a single page and, I guess, delete the individual populace pages. It would be a good idea to be careful to only remove people you know are from another kingdom and are only shown here because you created their page after they contributed to Caidan scrolls.
You can create the page by entering the title you want ("Out-of-Kingdom Scribes"?) into the search field. In the search results will be a link, "Create the page 'name' on this wiki!". Click it and go.
Formatting? An introductory paragraph would be needed. Then maybe an alphabetical list of names each as a section header with their kingdom (if known) and a table copied from the populace page? I guess we can work on that together, if you'd like... Maybe start out with two or three names...
Signature: When editing any page, there is a set of buttons above the edit window... Second to the right has a signature in it. Simply tap that. Or you can enter in "dash,dash,tilde,tilde,tilde,tilde" --Lachlan 12:57, 9 July 2013 (PDT)
- No, it is not just your computer. The wiki runs chronically slowly these days.--Lachlan 19:52, 9 July 2013 (PDT)
Editors - If you no longer wish to be an active editor, please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know. The only difference would be that you would no longer be listed on the Editor staff, and would no longer be expected to assume the responsibilities of an editor. You would still be able to edit pages on the Wiki. Thank you for all you have contributed to the Caid Wiki! --Valdis 12:24, 23 November 2013 (PST)
I was browsing the "Statistics" page and I noticed that the sixth most visited page on this wiki is Scroll List by Recipient with 33,320 visits. Now, surely quite a few of those visits were by you, but I doubt they all are!--Lachlan 23:04, 3 March 2014 (PST)
Scribes at Large (Out of Kingdom Scribes)
Hi! I've got an idea for you. Similar to your Scribes at Large page, I just created Media Contributors from Outside of Caid. I'm not suggesting you move the scribes there -- your format is much more functional. But you might use redirect pages and bookmarks like I'm using. This would allow you to A) Use the out-of-kingdom scribe's name on the individual scroll's description and B) Take the user directly to that scribe's section of the Scribes at Large page... For coding examples see:
--Lachlan 09:17, 2 January 2015 (PST)