Timotheus Zacharia von Schloss Zwilling
Argent, a great horned owl displayed proper, on a chief sable a sword fesswise reversed between two towers argent
Baron Timotheus Zacharia von Schloss Zwilling started in the SCA in 1972. His long-standing service to Altavia is reflected in the 23 Augmentations to the Sable Fret that he has received. In 2012 he became bi-Baroinal and has also received service awards from Angels. He was elevated to the Order of the Laurel for Brewing on 11/22/1986 by TRM Edward and Ilaria
Timotheus was born the eldest son of a noble German merchant family in 1555. His twin brother Cristofanus Castellani disappeared when they were both 2 years old.
He yearly toured the family lands in Norway, Scotland, Germany, France, and Spain to verify contracts and make sure the lands were being managed properly.
After becoming aware of that an assassin, Cecilia Medici was on his trail he hired more security. He eventually met her and found she was married to his long lost twin. Upon realizing Timotheus was her brother-in-law she relinquished the contract.
While in Spain he saved a “Court Brat” (Lynnette de Sandoval del Valle de los Unicornios) from abduction. While transacting business with the court, he met her several times again. Eventually they married and she moved to Germany with him.
In 1590 they sailed to Caid to check on the family holdings there. While they were in Caid the family suffered a catastrophic financial set back when the European economy took a disastrous down turn. Their finances were in ruins and Tim and Lynnette decided to stay and develop the lands in Caid -- besides the climate was MUCH better than Germany’s!
Tim’s original persona was [Bernard von Komkeff], Timotheus’ ancient ancestor.
Bernard was born in the 1128 in the town of Komkeff in the German state of Bavaria. His father abandoned the family and made off with their meager belongings, leaving Bernard’s mother Gretchen living with her father, Charles the Widower, on his farm. When Bernard was 14 his grandfather died, and his mother died when he was 16. He was left with no way to work the farm, no money to pay his taxes, and through no fault of his own, no good will from the town’s people of Komkeff.
He took off to seek his fortunes, and through hard work and good luck found a group of people that shared the same father – Bernard’s mother wasn’t the only woman to be treated poorly by him. The group of brothers and sisters founded a Freehold and worked on their skills in agriculture, arts, and combat. The Freehold grew to be a large group of lively, talented people working toward the common good.
Happy as he was, Bernard still remembered his childhood home and decided to return. In 1162 left to journey home, taking with him a modest wealth, men-at-arms, and the love of his brothers and sister. He arrived in Komkeff to find the current landholders in poor shape, and so he was able was able to buy back his grandfather’s manor and lands.
The years Bernard spent in Komkeff were happy and prosperous ones. The agricultural techniques that had been perfected by the Freehold ensured that his fields were always in abundant production. He married and they had a son named Richard. Bernard was able to share some of his prosperity with the town and sent a small amount north to his brothers and sisters of the Freehold.
In 1188, three days after his wife died, Bernard turned over the farm to Richard and returned to the Freehold to live out the rest of his days.
- Received a Laurel in Brewing and Bookbinding
- A Master in the Right Noble Brewer's Guild of Caid
- A Senior Judge in the Right Noble Brewer's Guild of Caid
- First place in Altavia's Dessert Contest for his Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake, 12/11/10
- He teaches classes in Persona Research, Brewing, and Bobbin Lace
- His other interests include cooking (with a very large collection of cookbooks), Blackwork, Luighseach nic Lochlainn almost had him trapped into the Takadai!
- He wrote Arrow of Caid, a story loosely based on people he knew in the SCA, most especially in the Barbarian Freehold Alliance. The story has been published in serial form in the Freehold's newsletter, the RuneStaff.
Complete info at Tim's A&S webpages
Tim was a heavy weapons fighter from 1972 through 1975. His best showing was in June of 1975 when he lasted to the quarter finals in Caid's Principality Coronet tourney. Complete info at Tim's Combat webpages
- "The Brewers Guild of The Kingdom of Caid" a series in Altaviana (Altavia's Baronial Newsletter)
- Overview & History: Feb-Apr 1993
- Non-Alcoholic Brewing: May-Jul 1993
- Liqueurs: Aug-Oct 1993
- Fortified Wines: Nov-Jan 1993/1994
- Non-potables: Feb-Apr 1994
- "History of the Freehold: Being an Early History of Altavia" a series in </i>Altaviana</i> (Altavia's Baronial Newsletter)
- Part 1: Feb-Apr 1993
- Part 2: May-Jul 1993
- Part 3: Aug-Oct 1993
- "History of Altavia: Being an Early History of Altavia Written in Several Parts" in Altaviana (Altavia's Baronial Newsletter)
- Part 1: May-Jul 1994
- "Awards: Altavia and Beyond" in Altaviana (Altavia's Baronial Newsletter), Jan/Feb 1996
- "Notes from the Seneschal" in Altaviana (Altavia's Baronial Newsletter)
- Aug-Oct 1994 through Mar/Apr 1996 (10 issues)
Offices & Positions
- A&S Minister for the Canton of New Albion, Angels (1978)
- A&S Minister for the Canton of Greywinds, Angels (1979-1981)
- Arachne's Web-Caid -- 1 of 15 Co-founders (1985)
- Pentathlon Judge (1985 – current)
Brewers' Guild of Caid
- 1 of 7 Co-founders: 1985
- Guildmaster: 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1995-1996, 2003-2004
- Chronicler: 1988, 1992, 1994)
- Branch Secretary: 1990
- Secretary: 2001-2002
- Judge Coordinator: 2005-current
- Chatelaine (1972-1974)
- Assistant Principality Chatelaine (1975)
- Principality Chatelaine (1976)
- Chatelaine-at-Large (1976-1977)
- Principality Chatelaine (1977-1978)
- Chatelaine-at-Large (1978-1979)
- Deputy Kingdom Chatelaine (1979-1981)
- Chatelaine-at-Large (1981-1987)
- Kingdom Chatelaine (1987-1991)
- Chatelaine-at-Large (1992-2015)
- Regent (1980-1991)
- Regent-at-Large (1992-2000)
- Assistant "Troll" (Exchequer/Gate), Barony of Altavia, (1991-2000)
- Troll (Exchequer), Barony of Altavia, (2001-2005)
- Exchequer, Altavia, (2007-2010)
- Exchequer, Barony of Angels, (2012-2015)
- Baronial Advisor / Sage for the Barony of the Altavia (1988-1993, 1996-2008)
- Crown Prints -- Various duties over the years including printing, collatating, stapeling/folding (1982-1996)
- Barbarian Freehold Alliance -- High Chieftain (2005-2011)
- Barbarian Freehold Alliance -- Lawspeaker (2011-Present)
Complete info at Tim's Service webpages
- Autocratting -- Various times over the years, stood by or stepped up as as an Autocrat backup (1983-1998)
- Herald, various events, Barony of the Angels, (1974-1975)
- Medic-at-Large, Caid (1976-1977)
- Lists, various events, Barony of the Angels, (1977)
- Marshal, various events; Barony of the Angels, (1976-1978)
- Constable, various events, Barony of the Angels, (1980)
- Make-A-Wish Tournament -- Co-Founder (1990) and Co-Autocrat (1990, 19991)
- Site Insurance Liaison, Barony of Altavia, (1990-2006)
- Member of House Zacharia Household
- Member of Barbarian Freehold Alliance
- First Lieutenant of the Royal Caidan Navy, commissioned 9/29/1997
- Intermediate Wine Making, Collegium Caidis Fall 2000
- Intermediate Brewing, Collegium Caidis Spring 2002
- Intermediate to Advanced Brewing & Vinting, Collegium Caidis Spring 2004
- Bookbinding I; First Aid for Books, Collegium Caidis Spring 2004
- Bookbinding II: Major Surgery, Collegium Caidis Spring 2004
- Intermediate Persona Development, Collegium Caidis Fall 2008
- Basic Winemaking, Collegium Caidis 2009