Sonnet for Angel's Melee
From Compendum CaidisJump to navigationJump to search
Elizabethan Sonnet by Petronilla de Chastelerault
- Our swords are strong, our spears are finely keen,
- Our arrows swift and fletched with feathers white,
- Our shields are broad and gleaming blue and green,
- Our armor shining, ready for the fight.
- The hearts of Caid's men are valorous,
- The honor in their hearts is stronger still,
- And the Caidan hearts that power us
- Will lead us from “Lay on!” to final kill.
- Though we meet each other on the tourney field
- We all know where our loyalties do lie-
- We render them to Caid's azure shield,
- Unto the kingdom that will never die.
- And on this day, remember why we fight,
- Our swords alone will not proclaim our might!