Lynnette de Sandoval del Valle de los Unicornios
Lynnette at the wheel!
PU, a unicorn couchant to sinister AR, armed Or, between 3 roses argent
Baroness Lynnette de Sandoval del Valle de los Unicornios has been in the SCA since 1978. She was elevated to the Order of the Pelican on 06/03/1995 by TRM Ivan III and Aislynn II. Her long-standing service to Altavia is reflected in the 11+ Augmentations to the Sable Fret that she has received. She is also an extremely accomplished needlewoman who teaches classes in a variety of fiber arts.
She received a special recognition as part of the [Joy Initiative] on May 14, 2016 after being recommended by Catharine Hawkwod da Barbiano for her webwright work including working to keep personal pages updated on the Caid Wiki.
- 1 Persona
- 2 Offices & Positions
- 3 Articles
- 4 A&S Interests
- 5 Service Activities
- 6 Protégés
- 7 Associates
- 8 Memories
- 9 More Information
Lynnette was born in 1557, the daughter of a Spanish court scribe and an English Lady-in-Waiting. Her parents met while in England in the service of Catherine of Aragon, wife of King Henry VIII.
When Catherine fell into disfavor with Henry, her retainers were dismissed and her parents moved to Spain. Lynnette was born and raised in Spain. Her family split their time between the family home in the town of Sandoval near the Valley of the Unicorns (Sandoval del Valle de los Unicornios), and the Royal Court where her father was a court scribe.
One day while on an unapproved excursion in the marketplace outside the Royal enclosure, she met a "hairy, half naked, barbarian" by the name of Timotheus Zacharia von Schloss Zwilling. Eventually seeing past that first impression, she married Timotheus and moved with him to his family's lands in Germany. Currently they reside in the Barony of Altavia in the Kingdom of Caid where the climate is MUCH better than in Germany.
Sandoval means Sacred Valley, and the town was so named because it's above the valley that local legend says is inhabited by unicorns. The belief is that man and animal used to live in peace under the influence of unicorns, but man became unsatisfied by the constraints imposed by the unicorns and left for a freer life. From that day man has been unable to see the unicorns that they rejected.
Lynnette’s family motto is "Flowers grow in the shadow of the unicorn" which reflects the wish that we could recapture at least some of that simpler time and once again see the unicorns and live a more peaceful life.
Interestingly, the name Lynnette is derived from the word Linnet, a small brown bird that eats linen seeds. Her parents named her well, as she has developed a lifelong love of fiber arts!
Offices & Positions
- Known World Traveler editor, Tournaments Illuminated, 3/2011 to 2015
- Minister of Lists for the Kingdom of Caid, 11/1993 to 4/1996
- Regnum Editor for the Crown Prints, 10/2001 to 6/2005
- Pentathlon 2009 Entry Autocrat, 2008 to 2009
- Assistant Webwright, Great Western War, 3/2010 to 2016
- Upload Editor, Compendium Caidis, 05/16/11 to present
- Fiber Playday Coordinator, 3006 to present
- Seneschal, Barony of Altavia, 5/1988 to 5/1989
- Collegium Regent, Barony of Altavia, 5/1992 to 10/2001
- Lists officer, Barony of Altavia, 5/1992 to 5/1994
- Seneschal, Barony of Altavia, 9/2003 to 5/2006
- Webwright, Barony of Altavia, 5/2006 to present
- Event Steward, Altavia Agincourt Archery and Thrown Weapons Tournament, 10/24/2010 (and several others)
- Raffle Wrangler, Altavia Anniversary 2015, 05/09/2015 (and several other raffles and white elephant sales)
- Merchant Steward, Barony of Altavia, 2016 to present
- Raffle Wrangler, Angels Anniversary 2014, 09/14/2014
- Raffle Wrangler, Angels Melee 2015, 01/10/2015
- Raffle Wrangler for Angels Showcase Raffle 2015, Angels Anniversary & Investiture 2015, 09/12/2015
- Merchant Steward, Pentathlon 2017, 03/24/17
- Merchant Steward, Angels Anniversary 2017, 09/09/2017
- List Assistant, Angels Anniversary 2017, 09/09/2017
- "Fermented Fruit" in Altaviana (Altavia Baronial Newsletter), Dec/Jan 1991/1992
- "Outline of Fiber History: From Asbestos to Yak" (co-authro) in Altaviana (Altavia Baronial Newsletter), Nov/Dec 1994
- "Excerpt from: A Potpouri of Herbal Uses: Intro, Bouquet Garni, & Herbal Butters" in Altaviana (Altavia Baronial Newsletter), Sept/Oct 1995
- "Altavia Cooks: At Home with House Zacharia: Personal Potlucks, Lynnette’s (Really, they ARE period) Baked Potatoes], & Timotheus' Famous German Cabbage" in Altaviana (Altavia Baronial Newsletter), Sept/Oct 1995
- "Don't Sass Me About Sassafras" in In Vino Veritas (Caid Brewers' Guild Newsletter), March, 1998
- "Bath Salts" in "Quest Article: Quick and Easy Twelfth Night Gifts", Tournaments Illuminated, 4Q 2007
- "On-The-Spot Teaching" in "Quest Article: Tempted to Teach", Tournaments Illuminated, 3Q 2008
- "Quest Article: My First Garb" (editor), Tournaments Illuminated, 2Q 2010
- "Quest Article: Capes, Cloaks, and Coats" (editor + contributor), Tournaments Illuminated, 1Q 2013
- "Merry Tales: Fun with Fermentation", Tournaments Illuminated, 3Q 2015
- Various persona articles, Fret Knot, Summer 2015
- "Quest Article: My First Garb" (editor), Tournaments Illuminated, 2Q 2010
- Altaviana (Altavia Baronial Newsletter)
- Jan/Feb 1995
- May/Jun 1995 (co-editor)
- Jul/Aug 1995 (co-editor)
- Sep/Oct 1995
Almost anything fiber art related -- Spinning, weaving, knitting, crochet, kumihimo, lucet cord making, cross stitch, and more. Plus bead work, and other crafts.
Created and runs the Fiber Playday -- free, hands-on, open workshop and playday for sharing ideas and skills between beginning, intermediate, and advanced Inkle Weavers, Card Weavers, Spinners, Braiders, Lacemakers,and Fiber Artists of all types.
- Lynnette is a Journeyman in the Right Noble Brewer's Guild of Caid
A&S Classes Taught
- Fermented Fruit, Caid Collegium Spring 1989, Caid Collegium Spring 1990, Caid Collegium Fall 1991, Caid Great Western War 2006
- Liqueurs: History and How To (co-teacher), Caid Collegium Spring 1992
- Fiber Arts
- Weaving (Children), Caid Collegium Spring 1990
- Spinning & Weaving in the Middle Ages (co-teacher), Caid Collegium Fall 1990
- Fiber History: Asbestos to Yak (co-teacher), Caid Collegium Spring 1990
- Tapestry Weaving (co-teacher), Caid Collegium Fall 1991
- Spinning with Drop Spindles (co-teacher for Children), Collegium Caidis Spring 2002
- Needlebooks, Caid Collegium Fall 1989, Caid Collegium Fall 2005
- Lucet Cordmaking: From Bodice Ties to Frogs, Caid Collegium Spring 1993, Caid Collegium Fall 2000, Mons Draconis Mini-Collegium 2002,
- Lucet Cordmaking: For Children, Caid Collegium Spring 1993, Caid Collegium Fall 2000
- Lucet: Two Color Cord Making with a Lucet, Caid Great Western War 2006, Collegium Caidis 2009
- Advanced Inkle Loom Techniques (Advanced Class), Caid Collegium Fall 2001
- Inkle and Card Weaving: Next Steps, Collegium Caidis Fall 2008, Caid Great Western War 2008
- Japanese Kumihimo Braiding or "What are they doing with those coffee can lids?", Collegium Caidis Spring 2004, GDW Fiber Retreat 2006, Caid Great Western War 2006, Collegium Caidis Spring 2007
- Kumihimo On a Marudai Stand, Collegium Caidis 2010
- Kumihimo on a Marudai, Collegium Caidis 2013
- Card Weave Tubes and Pockets, Collegium Caidis 2013
- Inkle Weaving - Simple Beginnings, Great Western War 2015
- Inkle Weaving - Surface Decoration (Patterns), Great Western War 2015
- A Potpourri of Herbal Uses, Caid Collegium Fall 1985, Caid Collegium Fall 1987, Caid Collegium Spring 1989
- Potpourri for Children, Caid Collegium ?? 198?
- Medieval Herbology: Overview (co-teacher), Caid Collegium Fall 1988
- Herbology 201: Culinary (co-teacher), Caid Collegium Spring 1989
- Herbology 301: Medica (co-teacher), Caid Collegium Fall 1989
- Herbology 401: Taylor Tour (co-teacher), Caid Collegium Spring 1990
- Herbology 402: Gardening (co-teacher), Caid Collegium Spring 1990
- Herbology 403: Miscellania (co-teacher), Caid Collegium Spring 1990
- Natural Dye Workshop (co-teacher), Altavia Arts Retreat, March 23 & 24, 1991
A&S Competition Entries
- 1989 Caid A&S Pentathlon (November)
- Exchequer Baldric (Warp-faced weaving) -- Caid A&S Pentathlon 11/1989 -- 1st place, Journeyman (Entered in Apprentice)
- Woven Decorative Reins (Warp-faced weaving) -- 1st place, Apprentice
- Pyment (Liqueurs) 2nd place, Apprentice
- Moth Repellent Potpourri (Functional, Other) -- No place, Apprentice
- Handspun Tussah Silk Yarn -- No place, Apprentice
- 1990 Estrella War (Februrary)
- Fermented Fruit Pot -- 1st place (by 1 point out of 33 entries!) and Documentation pulled for consideration in documentation judging.
- Norman Flatbread -- No place but documentation pulled for consideration in documentation judging.
- 1991 Caid A&S Pentathlon (October)
- Flax Thread (Spinning) -- 1st place Journeyman
- Brandied Cherries in the Style of Medieval Subtleties -- 1st place, Journeyman
- Woven Chessboard (Warp-faced weaving) -- 1st place, Journeyman
- Chatelaine Baldric (Warp-faced weaving) -- 2nd place, Journeyman
- Kneeling Pillow (Needlepoint) -- No place, Journeyman
- Tourney Loaf -- No place, Apprentice
- 2004 Caid Brewers Guild Interkingdom Brewing Contest at GWW (October)
- Almond Liqueur -- 1st place
- 2005 Caid Brewers Guild Interkingdom Brewing Contest at GWW (October)
- Chocolate Covered, Almond Stuffed, Brandied Cherries in the Style of a Medieval Subtlety -- 1st place
Necklace strung for Baroness Cecilia Medici, 2014
detail of necklace strung for Baroness Cecilia Medici, 2014
Angel pin designed and knit for Baroness Flavia Beatrice Carmigniani, 2008
Sable Fret pattern designed and knit for Baroness Meliora Deverel, 2009
Laurel cord made for Asenath de Winter, 2017
Needlebook made for Baroness Amadea da Strada Dragonessa, 1990 ?
Favor made for Timotheus Zacharia von Schloss Zwilling, 1998 ?
Favor made for (then) Baroness Bridget Lucia Mackenzie, 2005 ?
2014: PROJECT: Chatalaine made for Bridget I, needlework and beading
Spinning & Weaving
Autocrating, Lists, teaching, etc
Service Classes Taught
- Lists Office, Caid Collegium Spring 1994, Caid Collegium Fall 1994
- Autocrating Made Easy (co-teacher), Caid Collegium Spring 1993
- Event Autocrating, Caid Collegium Fall 1994, Caid Collegium Spring 2004
- Service Can be Fun for Kids (co-teacher), Caid Collegium Spring 2004
- Service Can be Fun for Teens (co-teacher), Caid Collegium Spring 2004
- Banquet Serving, Caid Collegium Fall 1998
- Member of House Zacharia Household
- Member of Barbarian Freehold Alliance
- Lieutenant of the Royal Caidan Navy, commissioned 9/29/1997