Huette Aliza von und zu Ährens und Mechthildberg
Huette Aliza von und zu Ährens und Mechthildberg at Spring Coronation 2009
Purpure, a dragon with the head and wings of an eagle couchant, wings addorsed, Or.
Originally known as Huette of Scholoss Drachenhaus, she is Pomeranian. Her father was Baron Conrad von und zu Ährens und Mechthildberg. Her mother died when she was born and, because she was a girl, her father sent her away to be raised by her aunt, an Abbess in a nearby convent. Under her aunt's tutelage, she developed a life-long love of learning and scholarship, and was renowned for her keen intellect and sense of humor.
When she became of marriageable age, her father sent for her to marry her off to a much older nobleman, who had land her father wanted. Rather than comply with her father's wishes, Huette ran away, using all the money she had to secure passage to Germany where she hoped to find her mother's family and protection. However, the Baltic Sea was stormy and the ship she was on faltered as it rounded Denmark, and sank. It was only because she knew how to swim that she managed to find the Danish shore and safety.
That was when she was found by a young man, Hroar sviðandi, a potter whose studio was not far from the coastline. As he helped her recover from her ordeal, they fell in love. Together, they persuaded the local minister to marry them. However, because of the potential for her father finding them, they left shortly afterwards and emigrated to Yorkshire, England, where Hroar found employment with an English master potter, who grew to love Hroar and adopted him as his own son.
When the master potter died, Hroar inherited the pottery studio. Huette and Hroar spent rest of their lives together, making pottery and loving each other.
Mistress Huette passed away after a short, yet very valiant battle with cancer on September 28, 2011.
- House Irini
- The Asylum of Saint Ignacia
- House Blackrune
- House Stormgangr
Offices & Positions
- Seneschal, Canton of the Canyons (5.5 years)
- Minister of Arts and Sciences, Canton of the Canyons
- Seneschal, Canton of the Canyons (5.5 years)
- Avant Courier, Barony of the Angels (Office now defunct)
- Event steward for Demo for Garden Theater Festival, involving four local news stations, with fighting demos, fashion shows, art and costume displays.
- Canyons Christmas Ball (event steward for 15 straight years)
- Midsummer Madness Ball (event steward for 10 straight years)
- Intermingled among the above, she was Autocrat/Co-Autocrat for three Crown Tournaments and three Crown Prints Prize Tournaments.
- Head Chef, Coronation of Adrian and Acelyn, 05/30/1981
- Head Chef, two Twelfth Night Banquets
- Head Chef, two banquets for Barony of the Angels' 20th Anniversary event (Saturday's formal banquet and Sunday's "beggar's feast")
- Head Chef, luncheon at Barony of the Angels' 35th Anniversary event.
There have been more, too many to recall them all, mostly during the time of Baron Damon and Baroness Mistral.
- How to put on a SCA Banquet, Collegium Caidis Spring 2002
- How Fur Did They Go? , Collegium Caidis Fall 2005
Memories and Tributes
- When I heard that there were "people jousting in the grass area" of the Garden Theater Festival in 1976, I hoped it was the SCA since I had lost touch with it. When I reached the encampment, I approached Huette and it was very lucky that I did. She took to the role as visitor host with enthusiasm, dragooning Jocelyn Fitzharry into taking me to the dance classes going on at that time, bringing copies of the latest Crown Prints and Queen Carol's Guide and generally getting me started. Another SCAer might have just shrugged and pointed to the royal pavilion. She was unfailingly friendly and enormously talented. Taken too soon, she is missed.
~Master Thin Robert of Lawrence
Huette was one of my best friends here in the SCA and it pains me very much to write this tribute. I have many memories of her, someone of which I think I can honestly say was not only was she my biggest supporter (my biggest cheerleader) in this club, but probably someone which I didn't realize until I lost her how close I was to her.
When I first joined the SCA, I believe I met her at a weekly SCA craft night I was invited to in order to get my name settled as a newcommer. She was friendly and welcoming to me, and was truly interested in what my arts were. Every week we would meet at that same member's home and talk. It could have been about SCA topics, or food, or TV shows, or whatever it was... none of that mattered because we were enjoying each others company. She got me on the Cook's List then because she knew of my interest in Period Food. And that, as far as how my fuzzy memory was, how we became friends. Later, she became my proxy laurel. After awhile, she and my laurel fell in love and Master Hroar sviðandi got married. I was so very happy for them both.
I did so many projects and art forms became of her. I will not say she was perfect, because no one is. But I loved her like a sister. I miss her terribly.
~Baroness Asakura Machime
- (L-R) Master Duryn the Red, Master Alewaulfe the Red and Mistress Lavendar of Lorne, Mistress Huette dancing at Caltech
- Master Alewaulfe the Red and Mistress Huette dancing at a Caltech Founders Dinner