GWW Spinzilla 2015
The Team Banner - "We spin"
- Sponsor: Hedgehog Handworks (Mistress Xena Baxter Wynthorpe & Master Colin Wynthorpe)
- Event Steward: Magistra Astra Christiana Benedict
- Team Banner: Hand-drawn by Master Bruce Draconarius; hand-painted by Lady Gwen Hir, Baroness Morgana Isolde of Ander Hall, Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds and Master Bruce Draconarius
- Pre-Production Team: Magistra Astra Christiana Benedict, Master Bruce Draconarius, Mistress Xena Baxter Wynthorpe, Mistress Astridhr Selr Leifsdottir, Lady Gwen Hir, Baroness Morgana Isolde of Ander Hall and Duchess Natalya de Foix... and expertly supervised by Rosie.
GWW Spinzilla 2015 Team
- Countess Amina de Talavera
- Baroness Arianwen Megan McBride of Arainn
- Magistra Astra Christiana Benedict
- Mistress Astridhr Selr Leifsdottir
- Baroness Beathog nic Dhonnchaidh
- Lady Bránduşa of Lyondemere
- Countess Bridget Lucia Mackenzie
- THLady Éadaoin Chruitire
- Mistress Edwinna of Hawk's Bluff
- Dame Eilidh Swann Stralachlan
- Mistress Fionnghuala de Buchanan
- Lady Gwen Hir
- Lord Henry Dumas
- Lady Juliana Draper
- Mistress Lynnette de Sandoval del Valle de los Unicornios
- Baroness Magge Shaw
- Mistress Mary Taran of Glastonbury
- Baroness Morgana Isolde of Ander Hall
- Lady Muirgen ingen Ailella
- Duchess Natalya de Foix
- Lady Siobhán Chantoiseau de Longpont sur Orges
- Mistress Thea Gabrielle Northernridge
- Mistress Therese of the White Griffin
+ 2 spinners who are not in the SCA. . . yet! (Jen from Tasmania, and Deb)
The GWW Spinzilla 2015 team is sponsored by Hedgehog Handworks, purveyors of needlecraft supplies to various historical re-enactment communities, including the SCA, since 1987.
From Mistress Astra: "What Matters Most"
Let me let you in on a secret. Our team is not going to win Spinzilla. We’re not going to even come close. And that’s ok. There are some teams - highly competitive - with experienced spinners who spin all day, every day. Last year’s winning team, each spinner averaged 4 miles of yarn! We are not going to beat that team.
What we are going to do is:
- Challenge ourselves with individual goals that are realistic for us. Goals that push us a bit to improve in our craft, but not goals that set us up for failure.
- We are going to support each other, help other team members meet their goals, and celebrate their successes.
- We are going to share our enthusiasm for spinning with others. We are going to teach new spinners.
- We are going to enjoy time with our friends and families. And we’re going to do other things that we love.
- We are not going to use Spinzilla as an excuse to let things go, like doing the dishes and making the bed. Unless you want to, then that’s ok.
- Mostly, we are going to smile, and laugh, and have a good time.
Spinning Classes at GWW 2015
|Thurs 10/08/15||9am-11am||Spindle Spinning||Lady Siobhán Chantoiseau de Longpont sur Orges||A&S Area|
|Thurs 10/08/15||Noon-2pm||Preparation for Handspinning||Mistress Edwinna of Hawk's Bluff||A&S Area|
|Thurs 10/08/15||2-3pm||Beginning Drop Spindle||Dame Eilidh Swann Stralachlan||Spinzilla Booth|
|Thurs 10/08/15||1pm-5pm||Open Spinning||Spinzilla Booth||Some equipment available|
|Fri 10/09/15||9am-11am||Carding Fiber for Handspinning||Mistress Edwinna of Hawk's Bluff||A&S Area|
|Fri 10/09/15||9am-11am||Wheelspinning - Intermediate||Lady Siobhán Chantoiseau de Longpont sur Orges||A&S Area|
|Fri 10/09/15||11am-12:30pm||Make Your Own Spindle and SPIN!||Mistress Astridhr Selr Leifsdottir||Spinzilla Booth|
|Fri 10/09/15||2:30-4pm||KIDS! Make Your Own Spindle and SPIN!||Mistress Astridhr Selr Leifsdottir||Spinzilla Booth|
|Fri 10/09/15||2:30-4pm||Spinning Flax (and other bast fibers)||Dame Eilidh Swann Stralachlan||A&S Area|
|Sat 10/10/15||10am-Opening Court||Open Spinning||Spinzilla Booth||Some equipment available|
|Sat 10/10/15||11am-12:30pm||Make Your Own Spindle and SPIN!||Mistress Astridhr Selr Leifsdottir||Spinzilla Booth|
|Sat 10/10/15||2pm-4pm||Spinning Flax (and other bast fibers)||Dame Eilidh Swann Stralachlan||A&S Area|
|Sun 10/11/15||10am-End of Valkyrie Rose Tourney||Open spinning||Spinzilla Booth||Some equipment available|
The final Spinzilla Team Photo will be taken after the Valkyrie Rose Tourney, and then it's clean-up/pack-up time.
Spinzilla 2015 (10/05/2015-10/11/2015)
"Spinzilla is a world-wide spinning event where competing teams and individuals challenge each other to see who can spin the most yarn in a week! Although the competition lasts only a week, many teams and individuals are already training, preparing their fiber and monstering up their spinning skills."
|Day 1||Mistress Astra Christiana Benedict - 383 total yds, 2-ply merino and silk||
Mistress Astridr Selr Leifsdóttir
|Deb*: 173 yards of 2-ply Romeldale, silk, and angora, for 519 total yards of spinning.||
Dame Eilidh Swann Stralachlan - No yardage to report yet; Day 1 of "Spinzilla: Finish All the UFOs*" included just Plying
Dame Lynnette de Sandoval del Valle de los Unicornios - 550 yards (double plied) and another bobbin about 1/3 full (With Sammy the Sheep, my Spinning Mascot!)
|Baroness Magge Shaw's spinning|
Dame Eilidh Swann - Plying 23 yds. Spinning singles, then Plying for 2-ply finished 32.5 yds (which counts as 97.5 total yardage). "Finishing my UFO*s"- completed my 1st set from my stash. Next up: Pick the next UFO. Current running total: 143 yards.
Dame Lynnette - 459 yds of blue. (1,011 yds so far)
Deb: 255 yds of 2-ply merino-tencel, 765 yds of spinning. Spun just over a mile (1814 yds)
Dame Eilidh Swann - 1st part of UFO work from this stash. Finished spinning the singles (marked the spot and then measured), plied the old yarn made who knows how long ago with the new spinning today. All measured, today's spinning and plying totals to exactly 90 yards.
Dame Eilidh Swann - Yesterday's Plying UFO counts for 28.6 yards.
Dame Eilidh Swann - spun the singles, then 2-ply (33.05 yd singles) for 99.15 yd total (measured on Day 6)
|Day 6||Mistress Mary Taran of Glastonbury - 522 yards of single Black Welsh Mountain so far||
Dame Lynnette - Spun at the war: 459 yds ... 1,506 yds so far! 250 yds to go!
|Spinner||Fibers Spun||Total Yardage|
|Lady Juliana Draper||2384 yds|
|Mistress Astra Christiana Benedict||1923 yds|
|Debbie B (non-SCA spinner)||1824 yds|
|Dame Lynnette de Sandoval del Valle de los Unicornios||1782 yds|
|Baroness Arianwen Megan McBride of Arainn||1390 yds|
|Bannthegn Beathog nic Dhonnchaidh||832.2 yds|
|Lady Siobhán Chantoiseau de Longpont sur Orges||771 yds|
|Jen the Tasweigen
(Non-SCA spinner who lives in Tasmania)
|Baroness Mary Taran of Glastonbury||522 yds|
|Countess Bridget Lucia Mackenzie||511 yds|
|Mistress Astridr Selr Leifsdóttir||455.88 yds|
|Dame Eilidh Swann Stralachlan||370.07 yds|
|Baroness Magge Shaw||357 yds|
|Mistress Therese of the White Griffin||290 yds (while|
attending a modern-world conference!)
|Baroness Fionnghuala de Buchanan||102 yds|
|Duchess Natalya de Foix||66 yds (22 drafted; 44 spun)|
Mistress Astra Christiana Benedict
Dame Lynnette de Sandoval del Valle de los Unicornios
Bannthegn Beathog nic Dhonnchaidh
Countess Bridget Lucia Mackenzie
Mistress Astra untangling yarn
with Baroness Mary Taran of Glastonbury
Mistress Astra Christiana Benedict & Countess
Bridget Lucia Mackenzie
Lord Henry Dumas & Lady Juliana Draper
Spinners with Mistress Edwinna of Hawk's Bluff
Baroness Morgana Isolde of Ander Hall &
Dame Eilidh Swann Stralachlan
Dame Eilidh, Mistress Astridhr & new spinners
Dame Eilidh & new spinners
Dame Eilidh & Halbrust
Sammy the Sheep, Dame Lynnette's mascot
(L-R) Front row: Spinner, Spinner
Middle row: THL Éadaoin Chruitire, Mistress Astridr Selr Leifsdóttir, Mistress Astra Christiana Benedict the Organizer, Countess Bridget Lucia Mackenzie, Spinner, Spinner, Spinner.
Back row: Baroness Ödriana Knarrabringa's nephew, Baroness Morgana Isolde of Ander Hall, Dame Eilidh Swann Stralachlan, Lady Bránduşa of Lyondemere, Baroness Arianwen Megan McBride of Arainn, Spinner, Spinner.
(L-R) Front row: THL Éadaoin Chruitire, Mistress Astridr Selr Leifsdóttir, Mistress Astra Christiana Benedict, Countess Bridget Lucia Mackenzie
Back row: Dame Lynnette de Sandoval del Valle de los Unicornios (with Sammy), Lady Juliana Draper, Lord Henry Dumas, Baroness Morgana Isolde of Ander Hall, Dame Eilidh Swann Strahlachlan, Lady Bránduşa of Lyondemere, Baroness Arianwen Megan McBride of Arainn
(L-R) Mistress Astra Christiana Benedict, Baroness Fionnghuala de Buchanan, Mistress Edwinna of Hawk's Bluff, Baroness Magge Shaw, Lord Henry Dumas and Lady Juliana Draper
Share your memories of this hopefully-annual event!
|Go back||Current Year||Go forward|
|Events 2014||Events 2015||Events 2016|
|Events of Caid|
| Events: 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s
Other Information: Results