Paper feast hat of DOOM!
Purpure, on a chief triangular argent a raven maintaining a spear sable
Badge: (Fieldless) In bend sinister a raven sustaining a spear bendwise sable
Badge: (Fieldless) A mullet voided and interlaced within and conjoined to an annulet purpure
Ciothruadh first encountered the SCA in the early 1990s, and resided for a time in the Barony and Kingdom of Atenveldt, but remained elusive and shy. In 2005, she relocated to the Barony of Lyondemere in the Kingdom of Caid, where she has been happy and active (and not a little bit silly) since 2008, having finally found Her People.
At Lyondemere Anniversary and Investiture 2009, Ciothruadh was inducted into the Order of the Sanderling by Their Excellencies Thomas and Angelina, and granted an Award of Arms by Their Royal Majesties Edward II and Mora II.
Purveyor of whimsy.
Mundane life necessitated her migration to Ansteorra, where she now resides in the Barony of Stargate.
- 1 Persona
- 2 Associates
- 3 Offices & Positions
- 4 Classes Taught
- 5 Publication History
- 6 Artwork
- 7 Other Info
Ciothruadh Dubh is a Celt of some variety, who currently has a something of a Viking identity crisis.
A Note on Nomenclature
Ciothruadh, though reportedly pronounhced "Kiruah" ("Like Japanese Kahlua!" - Beathog nic Dhonnchaidh), was selected from yon list of Irish names because it looks like an Irish spelling of "Kythera" (which is pronounced more like "hyphen" than "kitten"). Ergo, she will answer to both, though probably more readily to "Kythera" than "Japanese Kahlua". Ciothruadh Dubh and Ciothruadh the Black are equally acceptable either spoken or written.
There is also a rumor about someone matching Ciothruadh's description who is called Creature Gargoyl...
- Apprenticed to Melisande de Frayne, July 2014-present
Offices & Positions
- Lyondemere Cafe Press barista, April 2009-Present
- Lyondemere Baronial Guard, July 2009-July 2010
- Lyondemere Deputy Webwright, September 2011-June 2012
- Arts & Sciences egg decorating contest Most Technical, Shire of Al-Sahid, 2012
- Lyondemere Webwright, June 2012-Present
- Courtier for Patrick II and Kara II, June 2012-November 2012
- Lyondemere Baronial
GargGuard, July 2012-July 2013
GargGuard for Sven IV and Cassandra II, July 2013-November 2013
- Captain of the Lyondemere Baronial Guard, July 2013-July2014
- Third Flame Artisan of Starkhafn (tied with Emmeline Dernelove), April 2014-April 2015
- Court garg for Agrippa and Bridget, June 2014-November 2014
- Here There Be Dragons: A Draconic Drawing Lessson, Potrero War 2009
- Creatures, Beasts & Fairies: How to recognize fairies and other Medieval creatures, and how to draw them, Collegium Caidis 2009
- December 2009: Illustration: "Kottr and her Sloth"
- August 2010: Cover: "August Crown"
- July 2012: Cover: "The Owl and the Boar"
- January 2013: Cover: "Peerage Goblet"
- October 2012: Cover: "Great Western War XV: RAGNAROK!"
- October 2012: "Harvest Arts - Berserker Edition" Illustration ("Bake & Pillage")
- Issue 176, 4th Quarter 2010: Photographer: "Poore House Dayshade"
- Issue 181, 1st Quarter 2012: Illustrator: Merry Tales: "We Threw The Astrolabe at a Badger..."
- Issue 183, 3rd Quarter 2012: Book Review: Secret Murder: Who Shall Judge?
- Issue 186, Spring 2013: Cover: "Titivillus"
A complete gallery of Ciothruadh's SCA artwork can be found on her personal website, here.
Caid populace badge, 2009
Lyondemere populace badge, 2009
Lyondemere device, 2009
Orange ribbon for Kolfinna, 2009
"Kottr and her Sloth", 2009; also appeared in the December 2009 Crown Prints.
Award medallion chain for THL Cormac Mór, 2010
Illuminated letter competition winner, Lyondemere Anniversary 2010
Ciothruadh was requested by Her Royal Majesty Cassandra to create largesse in the theme of period playing cards. These are a series of 2.5" x 3.5" cards based on a 16th century French deck, each depicting the recipients in baronial/kingdom colors, with the baronial/kingdom populace badge in place of the suit pips. The background of each card uses the field division and colors of the recipient's personal arms. A set of cards featuring Their Majesties was created as well. Sets are listed in the order in which they were presented.
Queen Margie of Lochac
King Siridean of Lochac
King Aaron MacGregor of Ansteorra
Queen Amelot Lisette of Ansteorra
King Ashikaga Hiromoto of Gleann Abhann
Queen Ashikaga Kimiko of Gleann Abhann
King Craven of Atenveldt
Queen Elzbeta of Atenveldt
Pocket-sized (3.5 x 2.5 inches) hand-drawn heraldic ACEOs for SCA folk.
Populace and territories to whom these devices are registered are free to use these images for any non-profit purpose (and may contact Ciothruadh for high resolution files).
Mirthlions of Lyondemere
- Commended for Best Regular Feature, The William Blackfox Awards - A.S. 43
Ciothruadh Dubh is also known as Kythera of Anevern (it should be noted that "Kythera of Anevern" is a purely modern invented name, and as far as she knows, "Anevern" is not a real place).