Bard of Caid Competition Rules
Each year a competition is held to determine the next Bard of Caid. This page collects the rules for past competitions.
Rules for the 2018 Competition can be found at Bard of Caid Rules 2018.
Competition Rounds 2005-2015
In each of the first ten competitions, the Bards were required to perform in four rounds, designed to test their abilities in various areas.
Bard's Best / Bard's Choice Round
Traditionally the first round of the competition, variously described as the performer's best piece or a freeform 'Bard's Choice'
Traditionally a period piece (pre-1600) or an original piece in a period style, usually requiring documentation of a minimum of one page.
Traditionally, the judges determine and announce the theme of their choice at least one month prior to the competition.
- 2005 - The topic of "Virtue"
- 2007 - The topic of the poet Rumi, or inspired by his life
- 2008 - The topic of honor, or inspired by same
- 2009 - About or inspired by the one or more of the Seven Knightly Virtues: Courage, Justice, Mercy, Generosity, Faith, Nobility, Hope
- 2010 - A piece themed on "Castle" or "Fortress" -- About, evoking, reminds one of, etc.
- 2011 - A piece themed on "Myths and Legends"
- 2012 - A piece themed on "Humor" (with an emphasis on Audience Participation)
- 2013 - A piece themed on "Puns"
- 2014 - A piece themed on "Joy"
- 2015 - An original piece about an event that occurred within the last two years of the Current Middle Ages
On-site Composition / 'Three Words From a Hat' Round
Traditionally, words are chosen either in advance or on-site by the competition judges, and are announced during Opening Court. Competitors are challenged to compose a new piece on-site incorporating these three words, to be performed the same day as the final round. Some judges have offered 'extra credit points' for incorporating a fourth 'bonus word.'
- 2005 - Moon, Hare (like the bunny), and Love
- 2007 - Hands, Honor, and Scion (heir to your estate)
- 2008 - Silver, Chaste, and Merit : Bonus word "Lentil"
- 2009 - Heart, Night, Blue : Bonus word "Sloth"
- 2010 - Travel, Oath, Love : Bonus word "Lemming"
- 2011 - Reflection, Loyalty, Iron : Bonus word "Strawberry"
- 2012 - Silk, Bubbles, Sloths : unique bonus words given to each competitor
- 2013 - Pearl, Sinister, Wisdom : unique bonus words given to each competitor
- 2014 - Romance, Inspiration, Jaunty
- 2015 - Extraordinary, Vociferous, Punitive
- 2016 - Hanger, Bangarang, Murder, Plumeria
- 2017 - Pavilion, Leaves, Fig, Thistle
- 2019 - Pantheon, Pharaoh, Leapfrog
Bard of Caid 2012
See Bard of Caid Rules 2012 for details of rules for this competition.
Bard of Caid 2015
For the competition to determine the 11th bard of Caid, an adjusted format was developed that moved the individual rounds of the competition to different event venues over the course of the year. The top three competitors (based on cumulative score) from the first three rounds proceeded to Finals at Twelfth Night 2016.
See Bard of Caid Rules 2015 for details of rules for this competition.
See Bard of Caid 2015 for details and results for each round.
Bard of Caid 2016
See Bard of Caid Rules 2016 for details of rules for this competition.
Bard of Caid 2017
The rules for Bard of Caid 2017 were similar to the prior year.
Bard of Caid 2018
See Bard of Caid Rules 2018 for details of rules for this competition.
See Bard of Caid 2018 for details and results for each round.
Bard of Caid 2019
The rules for Bard of Caid 2019 were similar to the prior year.
See Bard of Caid 2019 for details and results for each round.