Circle of Bards
Azure, a lute bendwise sinister argent stringed sable surmounting a feather bendwise argent.
The Right Noble Circle of Bards is a loose affliation of all the Bards in Caid. There are various local bardic workshops, guild meetings, and occasional Kingdom-wide activies. In addition, some of the bards within Caid are also involved with the Crown Poems projects. For each Crown Tourney, a collection of poems are written and published at Coronation, in tribute to each fighter in the Crown Lists.
The Kingdom conducts a yearly competition to determine the Bard of Caid. In addition, some geographic branches have formed their own territorial champion bards.
- 1 Right Noble Circle of Bards
- 2 Bard of Caid
- 3 Territorial Bards
- 4 Regional Bardic Champion Challenges
- 5 More Information
Right Noble Circle of Bards
Bard of Caid
To choose an exemplar of The Muse who will strive to ennoble The Realm in verse and song and bring glory to The Kingdom.
Defining the Bard of Caid Position
- Skill is required in both composition and performance.
- The holder of the title of Bard of Caid shall be one person, not a group consortium: However, the competing bard may use backup musicians or singers.
- The holder of the title shall be determined by competition, judged in a similar manner to Pentathlon.
- The Bard of Caid shall owe his/her Primary Fealty to the Kingdom of Caid.
- The Bard of Caid may not succeed himself/herself.
- This competition is open to singers, poets, storytellers, actor-playwrights, and musicians.
Responsibilities of the Bard of Caid
- The position of Bard of Caid shall carry a 1-year commitment that includes three required Kingdom Events (Twelfth Night, Great Western War, and the competition for his/her successor). Additional events will be determined by the King & Queen, based on the Bard of Caid’s available schedule.
- The Bard of Caid shall perform pieces, either original or historical, at the aforementioned events. The pieces composed do not have to be composed specifically for that event.
- The Bard of Caid shall compose an original piece for Twelfth Night, Great Western War, and on or about May 1st of each year. The compositions should be composed with the specific intent to bring glory to The Kingdom of Caid or The Crown. The composition could be a battle song, a love song, a praise poem, a satire, or whatever the Bard of Caid feels inspired to compose.
- The Bard of Caid is strongly encouraged to publish a piece in The Crown Prints or The Ars Caidis, The Kingdom Arts & Sciences publication.
- The Bard of Caid will run the competition that determines his/or her successor.
- If for some reason, the Bard of Caid is unable to fulfill the responsibilities of his office, then the position shall go to a person appointed by the Crown.
Rights and Regalia
- The Bard is entitled to a front row seat at major event courts.
- The Bard of Caid shall have a baldric or cloak that will identify him/her as the Kingdom Bard. This garment IS kingdom regalia: it will be returned at the end of the Bard of Caid’s year tenure.
Rules for Determining the Bard of Caid
See Bard of Caid Competition Rules for details on the competition over the years.
Seraph Bard (Barony of Angels)
Bard of Altavia
- First competition held: Altavia Anniversary and Investiture for Thorin and Courtney, 5/10/2008 - Winner: Secca of Kent (then known as Secca of Cantia)
- Altavia Anniversary, 5/09/09 - Caitlin of Altavia with The Glory of Caid
- Altavia Yule, 12/5/2009 - Mealla Caimbeul for performances of Band of Brothers and The Murder of Thomas a Beket aka Nunc Gaudet Ecclesia
- Altavia Yule 2010, 12/11/2010 - the Altavian Bardic Champion-at-Large is Lady Bryn Kjolfari and the Bard of Altavia is Lady Petronilla de Chastelerault
- Altavia Yule 2011, Bridget Lucia MacKenzie with her rendition of “Odin, Baby”, ala Marilyn Monroe
- Altavia Yule 2013, Colette la trouvere with her original composition "Silver and Gold"
- Altavia Yule 2014, Briana MacCabe
- Altavia Yule 2015, Aurora of Finchingfield
- Altavia Yule 2016, Xena Doombringer
- Altavia Yule 2017, Robyn Lon Creighton of Thorndyke
- Altavia Yule 2018, Eadwine Dane
Bard of Calafia
- First competition held: Calafia Anniversary 11/3/2007 - Éadaoin inghen Muircheartaigh
- Calafia Anniversary, 11/15/2008 - Liudmila Vladimirova doch'
- Calafia Yule/Winter Arts, 12/5/2009 - Maluchka Korotkova
- Calafia Yule/Winter Arts, 12/4/2010 - Guillaume de Belgique
- Calafia Yule/Winter Arts, 2011 - Fergus Ó Dubhshláine
- Calafia Yule/Winter Arts, 2012 - Muireen Segrave
- Calafia Yule/Winter Arts, 2013 - Domhnall O'Lorigneain
- Calafia Yule/Winter Arts, 2014 - Isolde de Fetherestan
- Calafia Yule/Winter Arts, 2015 - Lettice Blythe
- Calafia Yule/Winter Arts, 2016 - Æsa rauđkinn Sigriđardottir
- Calafia Yule/Winter Arts, 12/2/2017 - Magdalena Szabados
- Calafia Yule/Winter Arts, 12/1/2018 - Elisabeth of Calafia
Bard of Darachshire
- Black Oak Lodge, 3/15/2008 - Premier Bard of Darach Magdalene van den Velde
- Black Oak Lodge, 3/14/2009 - Eilidh Swann Stralachlan
Bard of Dreiburgen
- First competition held at Dreiburgen Yule, 12/04/2010 - Robynne the Grey
- Dreiburgen Yule 2012 - Callahan Ell
- Dreiburgen Yule 2013 - Angharat Goch verch Gwenhover
- Dreiburgen Yule 2015 - Kutaiba al-Azrak
- Dreiburgen Yule 2016 - Agnes Wurtman
- Dreiburgen Yule 2017 - Arnleif Oladottir
- Dreiburgen Yule 2018 - Ívarr Sigurðarson
Bard of Dun Or
- First competition held at Darkwell War, 2006 - Cormac Mór
- Dun Or Anniversary, 10/13/2007 - Mealla Caimbeul
- Dun Or Anniversary, 10/18/2008 - Andrew Baird
Bard of Gyldenholt
- First competition held at Gyldenholt Yule, 2008 - Winner: Finella Harper
- Gyldenholt/Lyondemere Yule, 12/19/2009 - Finella Harper
- Gyldenholt/Lyondemere Yule, 12/11/2010 - Caitlin Christiana Wintour
- Gyldenholt Anniversary, 06/28/2014 - Beorn of the Northern Sea
- Gyldenholt Anniversary, 06/02/2018 - Dyrfinna Drengsdottir
Bard of Isles
Lyon Bard (Barony of Lyondemere)
- Premier Lyon Bard 2002-03 - Finella Harper
- 2nd Lyon Bard 2003-04 - Arthur FitzRobert of Wiverneweald
- 3rd Lyon Bard 2004-05 - Elizaveta Arievna Lebedeva
- 4th Lyon Bard 2005-06 - Eilidh Swann Stralachlan
- 5th Lyon Bard 2006-07 - Domhnall mac Pharlain
- 6th Lyon Bard 2007-08 - Beathog nic Dhonnchaidh
- 7th Lyon Bard 2008-09 - Caitlin Christiana Wintour
- 8th Lyon Bard 2009-10 - Cecilia Lightfoot
- 9th Lyon Bard 2010-11 - Avicia de Na Baiona
- 10th Lyon Bard 2011-12 - Angharat Goch verch Gwenhover
- 11th Lyon Bard 2012-14 - Wulfric Forlong of Falconhurst
- 12th Lyon Bard 2014-15 - Robin Greenwood of Arden
- 13th Lyon Bard 2015-16 - Colette la trouvere
- 14th Lyon Bard 2016-17 - Cormac Mór
- 15th Lyon Bard 2017-18 - Mealla Caimbeul
- 16th Lyon Bard 2018-19 - Mary Dedwydd verch Gwallter
- 17th Lyon Bard 2019-20 - Finella Harper
Bard of Starkhafn
Regional Bardic Champion Challenges
Great Western War XX (2017)
Margaret Inghean Domnaill, as Bard of Caid, issued a challenge to all regional bards to show their skill and ability to draw an audience. In the contest of skill, Mathias Hakonan was judged the winner. In the contest of audience support, Hannah Story-Teller for the Barony of Carraig Ban (Kingdom of the Middle) received the most tokens from the audience.
"ATTENTION REGIONAL BARDIC CHAMPIONS! I, Margaret, the 12th Bard of Caid, hereby issue a challenge to all baronial and territorial bardic champions to meet at Great Western War for the Great Territorial Bardic Showdown! Come meet other Bardic Champions, enjoy great music and storytelling, but best of all, come show us what is best about your Barony/Shire/Pirate Encampment/Whatever!
There will be two main contests: first, a test of skill, awarded to the story, dance, song, instrument, etc. that is most skillful about sharing the culture of your home. I entreat you to bring to use a song you have written about your people and their victories, bring an ensemble of musicians that only your Barony possesses, or a troupe of dancers with grace and skill the likes of which we have never seen. But Margaret, you might be saying, what if my Shire/Gypsy Caravan/Barony doesn’t have a Bardic Champion? The second contest is for the region that brings out the most supporters to the Open Arms Bardic Hall as judged by the Ladies of the Rose. If your barony doesn’t have a bardic champion, you can still come support your favorite bard to help them win!"
Great Western War XXI (2018)
Finella Harper, premiere Bard of Caid, issued a challenge to all regional bards to show their skill and ability to draw an audience. In the contest of skill, the Calafia Replacements (Countess Iðuna breiðrazi, THL Maluchka Korotkova, THL Disa blatonn, and THL Éadaoin Chruitire) was judged the winner. In the contest of audience support, Sir Colin MacLear, Bard of the West was the victor.