The Caid Arts and Sciences Fair and Pentathlon is the Kingdom's Arts and Sciences event. Its primary objectives are to give the artisans of Caid an opportunity to showcase their abilities, and in the course of preparing the required documentation, learn learn more about SCA-period arts and sciences. Judging is done by comparing entries to an ideal, rather than pitting contestants against each other. Although it bestows no precedence, Pentathlon Champion is an honor that denotes an outstanding artisan.
- The first Champion, Éowyn Amberdrake, was announced on 01/12/1980 at Caid Twelfth Night by TRM Balin and Amsha
- From 1980 through 1986, competitions occurred throughout the year at Kingdom events.
- No Pentathlon was held in 1987.
- Beginning in 1988, the Pentathlon became its own weekend-long event.
- Became a bi-annual beginning with the 1993 competition, and after a brief hiatus, has occurred every other year since 1997.
- In 1995, a new "Team"-level track was added.
- The first "People's Choice" award was given at the 2013 Pentathlon.
In the early 1980s, Mistress Su of the Silver Horn fashioned a brass crescent-shaped medallion adorned with a malachite cabochon that was passed along for several years. Over the years, different tokens have been bestowed upon the A&S Pentathlon Champion.
Arts & Sciences Pentathlons
|Events of Caid|
|Events: 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s, 2020s
Other Information: Results