Angels / Altavia Yule 2013
Angels / Altavia Yule 2013 Saturday, December 7th
From the Crown Prints
(Personal information omitted)
Angels and Altavia Yule 2013
“Silver and gold... Silver and gold...Everyone wishes for silver and gold...”
Come join the Baronies of Angels and Altavia as we celebrate the Holidays together! It will be an evening 'Per pale Argent and Or,” that is to say -- an evening of Silver and Gold, side by side. There will be much to do, much to eat, and much fun to be had, so please come feast and frolic with us! Please bring your banners and shields to display and add pageantry to the hall.
The theme for the evening, and all contests and competitions, is “Silver and Gold." Entries matching the theme are preferred (but not required). So, here are the night’s events:
There will be a revel after the feast with period dancing and games. In addition, the Angels' Cultural Endowment Foundation will present an encore performance of Sock Puppet Theater – The Director’s Cut of Henry V (with added special features.) If you missed this treat at GWW, here's another chance to enjoy the fun!
We will be having our annual Toys for Tots drive, so please bring a new, unwrapped toy for donation.
- Table-Decorating: Tables are round and seat 8.
- Best Costume
- Altavia Chess Champion
- Angels Games Champion
- Culinary contests sponsored by Baron Peter Cadarn: Best Side Dish, Best Main Dish, Best Dessert and People's Choice. (All dishes will be entered into the contest.)
Calling all bards!
This year, the Bard of Angels and Bard of Altavia competitions will be held concurrently, so that all entrants will be eligible for either position. Entrants should prepare one piece to be performed during the feast at Angels/Altavia Yule, after which the respective baronial champions will be announced. Guidelines are as follows:
- All styles welcome (music, storytelling, poetry, etc.)
- Documentation is not required - however . . .
- SCA-period pieces/pieces in a period style encouraged
- Pieces relating to the day's theme of Silver and Gold likewise encouraged
If you are interested in entering, please contact Bonesig Angharat Goch verch Gwenhover, Seraph Bard
The Yule Feast is potluck, so each person should bring a dish to serve at least 8. Please include an ingredients list for those with food allergies. Please contact THL Nikolaos for information about use of the kitchen and/or outlets for crockpots, etc.
Potluck dish suggestions by SCA first name:
- A-H Side dish
- I-O Dessert
- P-Z Main Dish
- 3:00 pm -- Site opens to the populace. For those interested in table decorating, come early and get started. we will also have games available at this time as well.
- 4:00-6:00 pm -- Court, followed by the Yule Feast. Both the Angels and Altavia Bardic Champion competitions will be held during the feast.
- 6:00-6:30 pm -- Sock Puppet Theater presents "The Director's Cut of Henry V"
- 6:30-10:00 pm -- Dessert Judging and Revel (dancing, games and music)
- 10:00-10:45 pm -- Clean-up
- 11:00 pm -- Hall closes and everyone must be off the site
Set list for dancing
- Caid Measure: A line of as many couples as will holding hands
- Rufty Tufty: A square dance for 2 couples.
- Heart’s Ease: A square dance for 2 couples.
- Maltese Bransle: A circle of as many as will
- Petite Virens: For sets of three.
- Known World Pavane: For as many couples as will
- Upon a Summer’s Day: Three couples, in a line
- Black Nag: Three couples, in a line.
- Jenny Plucked Pears: A round for as many as will, in sets of three couples.
- Queen’s Allemande: A line of as many couples as will
- Amoroso: For pairs.
- Goddesses: Four couples, in a line
- Quen Quer Que: As Many as will in a circle
St. Mary's Proto-Cathedral, Feast Hall, 5329 Sepulveda Blvd., Sherman Oaks, CA. 91411 (The hall is a separate building behind the Church. Pull into either driveway. The parking lot is behind the Church and the hall is at the back of the parking lot. (Written directions accompanied the article)
- This is a wet site.
- Enclosed candles are allowed.
- NO SMOKING inside the hall or on the Church property.
- Pets are NOT allowed except for service animals.
- $10 Adult Member for Potluck Feast and Revel
- $5 Adult Member for Revel only
- There will be an additional $5 non-member surcharge.
- $6 Youth Member (6-12) for Potluck Feast and Revel
- $3 Youth Member (6-12) for Revel only
- Children under 5 are guests of the Baronies
From Their Excellencies Peter and Gabrielle
To the wonderful people of both Baronies and to those who joined us on December 7 to celebrate Yule - Thank you! This was the best Yule we've had, ever!
We would like to thank all who worked so hard so that we could enjoy such a wonderful event!
The hall was beautifully decorated with banners, lights and even a photo-op booth, thanks to the decorating committee of Baroness Meliora Deverel, Lady AEthelwynne of Ashgrove, Lady Corinna de la Mare, THL Fu Ching, Baron Secca of Kent, Lady Petra, Lady Arianna Foxford and several others.
Thank you also to:
- Baron Secca and Baroness Meliora for agreeing to attempt a joint Yule this year
- Lord Nikolaos Phaistios for event stewarding
- Lord Nikos' lady wife Stephanie and Lord Jason ap Griffin for their awesome help in the kitchen and with the dishes
- Lady Briana MacCabe and her household for taking care of the beverages
- Baroness Tezar of Aeolis for making the site tokens and heralding with Baron John ap Griffin
- Lady Angharat Goch verch Gwenhover, Charles and Aurora for running the bardic competition and to all those who competed - such very talented people
- Sir Thorin vorðr Ó Séaghdha and THL Owain ap Gwyllim Pengryth for their work as constables
- Master Timotheus Zacharia von Schloss Zwilling , Lord Eirikr mjoksiglandi and Lady Leonor de Sevilla for running Gate
- Lady Muirgein for handling the Toys for Tots
- Lady Fara MacGregor and Sir Liam MacGregor for running the youth activity
- Lady AEthelwynne for also setting up the dressing areas and making signs
- To the audience and crew of the Angels' Sock Puppet Theater
- THL Mealla Caimbeul for leading the dancing
- Margot and her awesome family for running the chess competition
And to all those very talented cooks who brought so much wonderful food - Huzzah! Choosing the winners of the cooking competitions was very tough; however, in the end the winners were:
- Main Dish - Meatballs
- Side Dish - Marinated Mushrooms
- Dessert - Apple Bourbon Bread Pudding (Lady Moira Athenais)
- People's Choice - Potatoes au Gratin (Lord Jason ap Griffin)
Congratulations to THL Fu Ching and Lady Corinna for their award-winning table decorations which followed the theme of Silver and Gold complete with a medieval disco ball, and to Lady Muirgein who won the costume contest
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy holiday season and a prosperous new year, Peter and Gabrielle
- Leave your memories here.
Add photos if we have them
- Links to photo galleries, West Kingdom History page, etc.
|Go back||Go forward|
|Angels Yule 2012||Angels Yule 2014|
|Altavia Yule 2012||Altavia Yule 2014|
|Events of Caid|
|Events: 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s, 2020s
Other Information: Results